The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW

Homeland Security

[ rfe/rl banner ]

U.S. Foils Alleged Iranian Plot To Assassinate Saudi Ambassador

October 11, 2011
By Heather Maher

WASHINGTON -- U.S. authorities say they have foiled a plot allegedly orchestrated by the Iranian government to assassinate the Saudi Arabian ambassador to the United States.

At a press conference in Washington on October 11, Attorney General Eric Holder said the two men charged in what he described as an "international murder-for-hire scheme" are Manssor Arbabsiar, a naturalized U.S. citizen who holds an Iranian passport, and Gholam Shakuri, an Iranian-based member of the Quds force, which is an arm of the Iranian government's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

"The complaint alleges that this conspiracy was conceived, sponsored, and was directed from Iran," Holder said. "It constitutes a flagrant violation of U.S. and international law, including a convention that explicitly protects diplomats from being harmed."

Holder said Arbarsiar was arrested on September 29 and has since confessed and provided "other valuable information about elements of the Iranian government's role in it."

Shakuri remains "at large" in Iran, he said.

The two men have been charged with conspiracy to murder a foreign official, conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction, and conspiracy to commit an act of international terrorism, among other charges.

Holder claimed U.S. officials had been working for months to untangle the complex assassination plot, which involved Arbabsari holding a series of meetings in Mexico with a secret U.S. government informant, whom he allegedly hired to kill Saudi Ambassador Adel al-Jubeir in exchange for payment of $1.5 million.

"According to the complaint, earlier this spring Arbabsiar met with a confidential informant from the Drug Enforcement Administration who was posing as an associate of a violent international drug trafficking cartel," Holder said. "The meeting, which took place in May and in Mexico, was the first of a series that would result in an international conspiracy by elements in the Iranian government to pay the informant $1.5 million to murder the ambassador on United States soil."

Officials said the plot, as conceived, involved setting a bomb off in a restaurant where the ambassador was dining. They said that they stopped the planning before any explosives had been acquired.

'Plot Reads Like A Hollywood Script'

Preet Bharara, the attorney for the Southern District of New York, where the charges were filed, said $100,000 had already been wired through a New York bank "as a deadly down payment for their hired gun."

"The complaint unsealed today [October 11] reveals a well-funded and pernicious plot that had as its first priority the assassination of the Saudi ambassador to the United States," Bharara said. "The details of that murder case are chilling, to say the least, as the defendants allegedly had no care or concern about inflicting mass casualties on innocent Americans, on American soil, in furtherance of their assassination plan."

FBI Director Robert Mueller, who also appeared at the press conference, said the case "illustrates that we live in a world where borders and boundaries are increasingly irrelevant." He said the plot, if successful, would have led to scores of casualties.

"Though it reads like the pages of a Hollywood script, the impact would have been very real and many lives would have been lost," Mueller said. "These individuals had no regard for their intended victim, no regard for innocent citizens that might have been hurt or killed in this attempted assassination."

Iran 'Will Be Held Accountable'

Holder said the United States plans to prosecute both men charged in the plot, but is "also committed to holding Iran accountable for its actions."

He said the Justice Department was working with the White House, Treasury Department, and State Department to respond "within the next few hours."

"The New York Times" quoted a senior administration official as saying the Treasury Department planned to announce new sanctions against the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

The group was designated a terrorist organization in 2007 and sanctioned heavily for its role in Iran's suspect nuclear program.

The "Times" said five senior officials of the Guards Corps and Quds force will be singled out.

Iran reacted quickly to the news of the charges, calling them a fabrication. Ali Akbar Javanfekr, the press adviser to Iranian President Mahmud Ahmadinejad, called the U.S. accusations "a prefabricated scenario to turn public attention away from domestic problems."

The official Iranian news agency IRNA said the charges were "America's new propaganda scenario" against Iran, while Iran's Mehr news agency said simply "the charges are ridiculous."

with Iranian agency reports

Source: http://www.rferl.org/content/us_claims_iranian_plot_to_kill_saudi_ambassador_/24356722.html

Copyright (c) 2011. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list


One Billion Americans: The Case for Thinking Bigger - by Matthew Yglesias