The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW

Homeland Security

Norwegian authorities failed to act on Breivik 'explosives' report

RIA Novosti

21:21 25/07/2011 MOSCOW, July 25 (RIA Novosti) - Norway's intelligence services failed to act on a report that the man charged with the country's worst ever act of terrorism had illegally bought chemicals that could be used to create a bomb, media reports said on Monday.

Anders Behring Breivik had been on an "intelligence watch list" since March after purchasing large amount of chemicals online from a Polish retailer. The authorities however decided the information was "not relevant."

During a closed hearing at a Norwegian court on Monday, Breivik, 32, admitted carrying out a bombing in Oslo that killed seven people, and a mass shooting at a Labor Party youth camp on the nearby island of Utoya.

The accused told the court there were "two more cells" working with him. Police said they were investigating the claims but could not confirm them immediately.

Police also revised downwards on Monday the death toll in the island attack to 68 from 80. The death toll in the bombing rose one to eight, bringing the total number of dead in Europe's bloodiest day since the 2004 Madrid bombings to 76.

Breivik told the court that he "needed to carry out the attacks to save Norway and Western Europe from a Muslim takeover" and his intensions were to give a "strong signal to the people."

Breivik's lawyer said his defendant has admitted to the killings, but he has not accepted criminal responsibility for them.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list