UK looks at lesson from Norway's worst terror attack
IRNA - Islamic Republic News Agency
London, July 25, IRNA -- The UK National Security Council was meeting Monday to discuss Britain's response to Norway's worst-ever terrorist attack carried out by a right-wing Christian extremist.
The British government has faced criticism for largely ignoring the threat posed by the far right nationalists with its counter-terrorism strategy directed overwhelming against al-Qaeda.
'We will check that enough attention is being given to all forms of terrorism,' Foreign Secretary William Hague said, adding that the country had “tight firearms controls in Britain and very tight controls on the sale of material needed to manufacture a bomb.”
“We have the most highly professionally trained firearms officers in the world, and we have the police and intelligence agencies working well together in making sure, best as we can, that the country is safe from attacks,' he said.
During 2009 there were 294 terrorist attacks in Europe and all but one were carried out by non-Muslims, but speaking on BBC television, the Foreign Secretary continued to insist that al-Qaeda remained the main terrorist threat to the UK.
He said the current terrorism threat level to the UK was 'substantial', meaning that 'there is a possibility of an attack and an attack without warning.'
Scotland Yard has said that it is liaising with the Norwegian authorities amid reports the man behind the terror attacks met other right-wing extremists in London.
Association of Chief Police Officers president Sir Hugh Orde also said the police and government had already run a 'major exercise' to prepare for an attack similar to that which took place in Norway.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|