India presidenrt, vice president, PM condemn serial blasts in Mumbai
IRNA - Islamic Republic News Agency
New Delhi, July 14, IRNA -- India’s President, Pratibha Devisingh Patil, Vice President Hamid Ansari and Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh strongly condemned the three terrorist attacks over night in India's Mumbai which have killed 20 people and injured more than 100.
Condoling the loss of lives in Mumbai serial blasts, Patil in a statement said: “I am grieved to know about the incident of blasts and condoled the loss of lives in these blasts”. The President wishes speedy recovery to those injured in the incident.
Vice-President strongly condemning the heinous terrorist attacks that occurred in various areas of Mumbai expressed deep shock at the scale of the attacks targeted innocent people that have caused numerous fatalities and casualties.
He said that such terrorist acts are aimed at destabilising the nation and urged all citizens to unite in this critical hour. He expressed deepest condolences to the families of those killed and injured in the attacks.
The vice-president reiterated the national resolve to fight terrorism in all of its malevolent manifestations.
“I strongly condemn the bomb blasts in Mumbai Wednesday evening. I have asked the Chief Minister of Maharashtra to do whatever is possible to provide relief to the injured and to the families of the deceased citizens. I have also asked Union Home Minister, P. Chidambaram to provide all possible expert assistance to the State Government,” said Prime Minister in his statement.
Meanwhile, admitting that there was no credible intelligence input on the Mumbai attack, Home Minister P Chidambaram today did not rule out any angle, including the possibility of an attempt to derail Indo-Pak talks, behind the blasts.
Expressing 'deep regret' to the people of Mumbai over the incident, he said the probe will not start on any 'pre-determined assumptions' and will cover every terror group that has the capacity to carry out such strikes in the country.
Chidambaram said there was no intelligence failure on the part of Central and state agencies.
'There was no specific intelligence input on this...whenever there is an intelligence, we share it with the states,' he told a 70-minute press conference in Mumbai.
'We are not ruling out any angle. We will probe (the involvement of) every terror group...The investigations into the attack will not start on pre-determined assumptions,' he said.
He was speaking after a high-level meeting with Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithiviraj Chavan and senior ministers and officials to review the situation in the wake of the serial blasts that left 18 people dead, including a severed head that is yet to be idenitified, and 131 injured.
Union Home Ministry had officialy stated in its first bulletin last night that the death toll was 21.
He said among the 131 injured, who were taken to 13 hospitals, 26 were discharged after treatment, 82 are in a stable condition while 23 people are in a serious condition. Of these, some are in critical state, he said.
To a question, the Home Minister said that the target is India's 'unity, integrity and prosperity' and assured that 'every foreigner in India is safe.'
'If an incident like this happens, let me assure you it is not targeted against any foreigner or tourist visiting India. It has happened at some places on last occasions as some foreigners were present in hotels. Therefore, they lost their lives,' he said.
Chidambaram said no arrests have been made so far in connection with the terror strike, but expressed confidence that 'we will be able to zero-in on the group that carried out the attack.'
Terror struck Mumbai Wednesday evening when three near simultaneous blasts ripped through crowded areas killing at least 20 people and injuring more than hundred in a grim reminder of the deadly November 2008 Mumbai attack in which 166 persons were killed by 10 gunmen of Pakistan-based terror outfit LeT.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|