Alleged suicide bomber planned attack on Moscow
MOSCOW, July 20 (RIA Novosti) - One of the alleged female suicide bombers detained last week in Russia's Dagestan was planning a terrorist attack on Moscow in July, a high-ranking police source said on Tuesday.
Six women aged between 15 and 29, and two men (ages unspecified) were detained in the Dagestan capital of Makhachkala on July 12 following a tip-off that an underground organization was plotting a series of terrorist attacks in central Russia.
"It has been established that one of the detained female terrorists was being trained for a terrorist attack on a crowded place in Moscow. In line with the militants' plans, she was supposed to depart for Moscow in mid-July," the source said.
It added that the woman had already said goodbye to her relatives when she was arrested and was carrying a farewell letter.
Russia's National Antiterrorism Committee (NAC) said earlier that four of the female detainees were the widows of former militant leaders, and the other two had previously been convicted for illegally storing weapons and were listed as missing.
According to the NAC, one of the detained men is suspected of assisting in smuggling to Moscow the suicide bombers responsible for the metro blasts in the capital on March 29, which killed 40 people.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|