London bombings may have been avoided, inquest told
IRNA - Islamic Republic News Agency
London, April 26, IRNA -- Lawyers acting for bereaved families of victims of the 7/7 London bombings accused UK authorities Monday of not acting on details they had about the perpetrators bombers before the 2005 attacks.
"In the 15-month period or so leading up to the bombings in July 2005, MI5 and the police were between them in possession of a significant amount of information about the bombers,” said Christopher Coltart, representing seven of the bereaved families.
"If, we submit, appropriate, available and proportionate action had been taken at an earlier stage, it may have been possible that the events of 7 July could have been avoided,” Coltart told a three-day pre-inquest hearing into the deaths of those killed.
"The failure to take such action places the state in breach of its obligations to the citizens of this country under Article 2 of the European Convention on Human Rights to protect the lives of those who live in this country,” he said.
Coltart repeated a call by the bereaved families and surviving victims for a “full and public investigation” into the bombing attacks on London’s transport system, in which 56 people were killed, including the four named perpetrators.
The three-day hearing at the Royal Courts of Justice in central London will decide what form the long-awaited inquests into the deaths should take.
British authorities are trying to restrict the scope of the inquests, while MI5 security services have insisted that material involved is so sensitive that it would be "contrary to the public interest" for it to be aired in public.
Coltart questioned how effective the inquiry by the ISC, which reports directly to the prime minister, was and said it was impossible to know whether it addressed important questions, because its hearings were held in private.
End News / IRNA / News Code 1079669
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|