Moscow metro suicide bomber identified
MOSCOW, April 1 (RIA Novosti) - The female suicide bomber who set off a bomb at Park Kultury metro station on March 29 has been identified, a source of the Russian security service in the North Caucasus Federal District said.
On Monday, March 29 twin blasts at the Lubyanka and Park Kultury stations occurred during the morning rush hour, leaving at least 39 people dead and dozens injured.
"At the moment only the suicide bomber who set off a bomb at the Park Kultury metro station has been identified. She is a resident of Dagestan", the source said, adding that, in the interests of the investigation, her name could not be revealed.
Dagestan is an impoverished region of Russia's volatile North Caucasus.
Federal Security Service director Alexander Bortnikov said on Thursday there was evidence showing the attacks had been carried out by gangs "linked to the north Caucasus." Bortnikov said the service had cast a dragnet for the organizers. He did not indicate how many suspects had been detained, only saying they were being questioned intensively.
Two explosions on Wednesday in the town of Kizlyar, near Dagestan's border with Chechnya, killed 12 people and left 29 people injured. The blasts in Dagestan occurred just two days after the bombings of the Moscow metro.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|