Pakistan receives 'some information' on Mumbai attacks
IRNA - Islamic Republic News Agency
Islamabad, Jan 5 ,IRNA -- Pakistan Foreign Ministry confirmed on Monday that it has received 'some information' from the Indian government about Mumbai attacks.
Indian Minister for External Affairs Pranab Mukharjee said in New Delhi that the government has handed over evidence to Pakistan linking the deadly Mumbai attacks to Pakistani 'elements'.
Pakistan Foreign Ministry spokesman said that the 'material has been received in Pakistan now and is being examined by concerned authorities'.
The spokesman said that the Indian foreign secretary handed over some information material regarding terrorist attacks in Mumbai to Pakistan's High Commissioner in New Delhi this morning.
India has blamed the November attacks that killed 164 people on Pakistani-based militants, but Pakistan has denied the accusations saying India had yet to provide definitive proof.
An Indian Foreign Ministry statement said that the evidence included material from the interrogation of the lone surviving gunman, details of conversations between the gunmen and their alleged handlers in Pakistan, recovered weapons, and data satellite phones.
Pakistan had been urging India to provide evidence so it could take action against the elements behind the Mumbai attacks.
Evidences were handed over to Pakistan at a time when US Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asian Affairs Richard Boucher, arrived in Islamabad on Monday, officials said.
Officials and diplomatic sources say that one of the agenda of Boucher talks would be the progress in probe into the Mumbai attacks.
State TV reported that Boucher met Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani on Monday and discussed with him bilateral matters.
Pakistani officials say that the issue of US drone attacks in the tribal regions will be raised with Boucher.
He will hold talks with Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi and will also call on President Asif Zardari.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|