Mumbai Siege Ends, Indian Forces Kill Last Militants
By VOA News
29 November 2008
Indian officials have brought a terrorist attack on the city of Mumbai to an end, killing the last militants inside a luxury hotel that was the final battleground of a terrorist siege.
Security forces are going through the badly-damaged Taj Mahal hotel room by room to make sure it is safe, and to evacuate any remaining guests.
Combat operations ended at the Taj hotel Saturday, more than two days after groups of militants launched coordinated attacks against multiple targets across the city. Nearly 200 people were killed in the attacks, including at least 18 foreigners. Officials expect the death toll to rise.
On Friday, Indian commandos ended two other standoffs with militants at the Oberoi-Trident hotel, as well as at the Chabad House Jewish center.
At least 11 militants were killed during the nearly three-day siege, while another was taken into police custody.
Officials are still trying to determine the identity of the attackers. Shortly after the assault began, Indian media reports said a previously unknown group, called Deccan Mujahideen, had claimed responsibility. It is not clear if that claim is credible.
India's foreign minister says there is evidence the attackers have links to Pakistan. Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said his country has nothing to do with the attacks.
Some information for this report was provided by AFP, AP and Reuters.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|