Operation to flush out terrorists holed up in Trident and Taj hotels in Mumbai continues
IRNA - Islamic Republic News Agency
New Delhi, Nov 27, IRNA
The ongoing operation by the combined security forces to flush out terrorists holed up in Trident (Oberoi) and Taj hotels in Mumbai is continuing.
Though the Maharashtra police have earlier claimed that the Taj had been freed from the clutches of terrorists, fresh cases of blasts are now being reported.
According to All India Radio (AIR) report, an encounter is also on at the Trident hotel where around 10 to 12 terrorists are still holed up and many hostages trapped. Some of them are Israeli and Canadian nationals. Gun shots still continue to be heard.
Latest reports also say that policemen have succeeded in flushing out terrorists from the Cama hospital.
Earlier, NSG and military commandos entered the Taj and Trident hotels.
Five terrorists have so far been killed, besides several staff members of the two hotels.
About 20 to 25 of them were believed to have come in three small inflatable boats, whose mother ship has been traced by Indian naval ships patrolling the Arabian Sea.
Over a hundred people have been killed including nine foreigners and close to 290 injured in a series of attacks by terrorists in Mumbai on Wednesday's night. At least 14 policemen including head of the Maharashtra Anti-Terror Squad Hemant Karkare and well-known encounter specialist Vijay Salaskar are also dead.
Meanwhile, Home Minister Shivraj Patil in New Delhi on Thursday said that investigators have picked up certain clues in connection with the terror attacks in Mumbai, but refused to share details.
"We have certain information but it is premature information. It will not be proper to share premature information as it may compromise the ongoing operations," he told reporters after a meeting of the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|