Jordanian Officials Resign Following Suicide Attacks
15 November 2005
Jordan's national security advisor and 10 other top officials have resigned, following last week's suicide bombings at three hotels in Amman.
State media reported Tuesday that Jordan's ambassador to Israel, Maruf Bakhit, would replace Saad Kheir as the security chief. Royal Court chief Faisal Fayez also stepped down, and officials said Salim al-Turk would replace him.
No reasons were given for the resignations.
Also Tuesday, officials reported that a fourth American died from injuries suffered in the attacks, raising the death toll to 58 people.
Jordan's Interior Ministry says it is pressing for quick approval of tougher anti-terrorism laws to prevent future attacks.
Al-Qaida in Iraq has claimed responsibility for the blasts carried out by three bombers. Officials have arrested an Iraqi woman whose suicide vest failed to detonate in the attacks.
Some information for this report provided by Reuters, AP, AFP.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|