No. 44 Squadron
The Vulcan served with No. 27 Squadron at RAF Scampton in Lincolnshire, and No. 44 Squadron at Waddington, between 1961 and 1982. Both bases were re-constructed between 1954-56 to accept them, including just one runway as opposed to the wartime triangle. The Squadron flew the Canberra B.2 [4/1953-7/1957], Vulcan B1 [8/1960-9/1967], Vulcan B1A [1/1961-1/1968] and Vulcan B2 [1/1968-21/12/1982]. With the advent of the Tornado bomber, the Vulcan squadrons were gradually phased out, with No. 44 Squadron being disbanded on 21 December 1982.
The first Royal Air Force squadron to re-equip with the Lancaster was No. 44 Squadron based at Waddington in December 1941. No. 44 Squadron also had the honor of launching the first Lancaster offensive sorties, these being against Essen on the night of March 10/11, 1942.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|