19th Bomb Wing
Immediately after the communist invasion of South Korea, the 19th Bombardment Group, Medium moved from Andersen AFB, Guam to Kadena AB, Okinawa. Initially under the operational control of Twentieth AF, after July 8, 1950, it was attached to FEAF Bomber Command (Provisional). The first B-29 unit in the war, the group on June 28 attacked North Korean storage tanks, marshalling yards, and armor. In the first two months, it flew more than six hundred sorties, supporting UN ground forces by bombing enemy troops, vehicles, and such communications points as the Han River bridges.
On June 1, 1953, the 19th Bomb Wing moved on paper from Andersen AB, Guam to Okinawa, absorbing the personnel and equipment of the 19th BG. Until the end of the war, the wing exercised control over the tactical squadrons, which maintained the B-29 interdiction program and provided some close air support for UN ground forces. In the course of the war, the 19th Group and 19th Wing flew almost 650 combat missions.
The B-47 bomber equipped the Strategic Air Command's 19th Bombardment Wing at Homestead Air Force Base, Fla., from December 1958 to February 1961.
By 1964 the 19th Bombardment Wing at Homestead was flying B-52 aircraft. The 19th Bombardment Wing, Heavy moved without personnel or equipment to Robins AFB, GA, on 25 Jul 1968 and absorbed the resources of the 465th Bombardment Wing. It furnished B-52 and KC-135 aircraft and crews to other SAC organizations involved in combat operations in Southeast Asia. The Wing regained KC-135 and B-52 aircraft and crews and resumed normal operations in Nov 1973, winning the Omaha Trophy as the "outstanding wing in SAC" for 1981.
Redesignated an air refueling wing on 1 Oct 1983, the 19th began worldwide aerial refueling missions for various operations and exercises,
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|