Leningrad Military District
The Northern Military District is the successor to the Soviet-era Leningrad Military District, although the old name is still in use. The district includes the 6th Combined Arms Army, the 30th Army Corps, the 56th District Training Center, and several smaller units. One air army also is stationed in the district, but it appears to be subordinate to the Air Force High Command. The airborne division stationed at Pskov, formerly operationally subordinate to the Ministry of Defense, was reassigned for special combined duty in 1996. In the 1990s, Russia provided the Leningrad Military District (MD) with a more defensive configuration. In 1990-97 the number of motor rifle divisions in the MD fell from 11 to five, the number of tanks was reduced from 1200 to 870, and the numbers of artillery, multiple rocket launchers and mortars fell from 2140 to 1000.
On 10 November 1990, the Conventional Armed Forces in Europe (CFE) Treaty was signed in Paris following the successful completion of 20 months of negotiations. Russia is allowed to place 600 tanks, 400 artillery pieces, and 800 ACVs in designated permanent storage sites in the northern portion of the flank (i.e., the Leningrad Military District). The southern part of the Leningrad Military District is understood to mean the territory within that military district south of the line East-West 60 degrees 15 minutes northern latitude.
The system of zones established by Article IV of the Conventional Armed Forces in Europe Treaty (CFE) can best be envisioned as four different sized zones nested within one another so that the smallest zone is subsumed and overlapped by the next largest zone and so on until the smaller three zones are subsumed and overlapped by the largest zone. A description of, and the special numerical limitations for, the flank area are set forth in Article V of the Treaty. The purpose of the nested system of zones is to prevent destabilizing force concentrations within the area of application. The northern part of the flank zone consists of Iceland and Norway for the Group of 16, and the Leningrad Military District (in the Soviet Union) for the Group of 6. The southern part of the flank zone consists of Greece and Turkey for the Group of 16, and Romania, Bulgaria, and the Odessa, Transcaucasus. and Northern Caucasus Military Districts (in the Soviet Union) for the Group of 6.
On 21 December 1992 the 107th Motorized Rifle Division, based in the North Town of Vilnius, postponed the deadline for its withdrawal. The deadline had been that day, but was set for 24 December 1992. The reason for the postponement was the lack of trucks needed to transport the troops' equipment. On 29 December the documents officially transferring the territory to the Vilnius authorities were signed.
Joint troop exercises with NATO and East European forces in peacekeeping operations under the "Partnership for Peace" included joint maneuvers in Russia between the US 3rd Infantry Division and Russia's 27th Guards Motorized Rifle Division -- former Cold War enemies across the intra-German border. The excercise "Peacekeeper 95" was a follow-on exercise to Peacekeeper 94, held in Totskoye, Russia. The 1st Infantry Division, Mechanized, received a directive from OSD and JCS in February 1995 to plan and execute a combined peacekeeping exercise with the 27th Guards Motorized Rifle Division (GMRD), Totskoye, Russia. At that time the 27th MRD had only 8,500 men, a deficit of 2,000), even though it had been earmarked as a basic unit for peacekeeping missions.
On 1 February, 1924, by the order ? of 126 Revolutionary Military Councils OF THE USSR Petrograd military district was renamed into the Leningrad military district.
The sources of the formation of region are fallen at the end OF THE XIX century, namely 6 (18) August of 1864 emperor Aleksandr II signed edict - the "position about the military- circumferential administrations", which determined the division of the European part of Russia to ten military districts. The boundaries of the formed Petersburg, Finnish, Moscow, Kazan', Kharkov regions were indicated besides those already existing of Varshavsky, Vilenskiy, Kiyevskiy, Odesskiy and Rizhskiy of military districts. In this "position..." was determined the structure of military- circumferential administrations, their subordination, rights and responsibilities.
The order of Defense Minister ? 228 from 10 (22) August of 1864 established that "for local control of the land Armed Forces and by military establishments, are formed, on the basis of the positions of those highly affirmed of 6th this August, the Military- circumferential administrations in the following ten military districts: 1) Petersburg... ". This date - 10(22) August of 1864 became the day of the establishment of five new, including Petersburg, military districts.
Connections and parts, from the composition of Petersburg military district, gained military glory in the fields of battles in the Russo-Turkish (1877-1878) yr., in the Russo-Japanese (1904- y90shchgg.) wars, with conducting of war shooting in other regions.
With this name the region existed up to 24 August of 1914 it began the First World War, and with the decision of emperor Nikolai II from 24.08. 1914 in the names of parts, administrations, establishments and institutions of military department designation "St. Petersburg (Petersburg)" was changed in the "Petrograd". By order on the military department ? 560 from 29.08. 1914 region was renamed into the Petrograd military district in the theater of military actions (PVO - AIR DEFENSE on TVD). Subsequently region was named Petrograd. This name region preserved also after the October Revolution of 1917 up to the beginning of the formation of the Red Army.
In January- February y9y8g. of the part of the Petrograd region, the armed forces of workers conducted active war shooting against the troops of Imperial Germany.
For the management of the building of the Red Army the decision of the council of the people commissioners of Petrograd working commune of 23 March, 1918, for control of region created commissariat in military science of Petrograd working commune headed by the board of military commissars. Since the work of commissariat was strongly complicated by the absence of standard regular circumferential apparatus, the order of the highest military council ? 71 of 6 September, 1918, formed the Petrograd military district OF RKKA - WORKERS' AND PEASANTS' RED ARMY.
During July- September 1918 the commissariat in military science of Petrograd working commune toward the acting fronts of Civil War directed a number of connections, parts and other military formations.
Troops of region held severe examination to the combat maturity in winter 1939-1940, in the course of Soviet-Finnish war. For the management of actions 7 and 13 armies by the solution of the rate of high command of 7th January y9ya0g.byl is formed North Western Front. Staff and control of Leningrad military district were renamed in staff and control of North Western Front (order to the forces of the North Western Front of ?00y of 9 January, 1940).
In the course of 3,5 months in the course of bitter Finnish troops were combat destroyed by the order NKO OF THE USSR ? 0013 of 26 March y9ya0g., staff and control of North Western Front were disbanded, was again formed Leningrad military district.
Since the beginning of the World War II on 24 June, 1941, Leningrad military district was preobrazovan into the northern Front (order to the forces of northern Front ? 0187 of 24 June y9yayg.). On 23 August in accordance with the directive SVGK ? 001199 was formed Leningrad Front, as a result of the separation of northern Front into the Leningrad and Karelian fronts.
The forces of front conducted heavy defensive actions against the Fascist-German and Finnish troops during July - August of 1941 on the boundary of the river of great, and then on the grassland boundary and the Karelian isthmus. During September 1941 locked the ring of blockade around the city by the heroic efforts of troops of Leningrad Front and population of city were torn away the plans of the enemy for the seizure of Leningrad on 18 January, 1943, troops of Leningrad and Volkhov it was front they broke through the blockade of Leningrad
By the joint efforts of troops of Leningrad, Volkhov and 2- GO of Baltic during January 1944 enemy was front destroyed in the environs of Leningrad and Novgorod. Pressing home the attack, the forces of the Leningrad Front in summer and in the fall of 1944 participated in the release from the occupiers of the Soviet Baltic States.
By the order NKO OF THE USSR ? 139 of 9 July, 1945, field control of front was preobrazovano in control of Leningrad military district. Troops of region were transferred into peacetime TO and approached the combat training.
On 22 February, 1968, for the large contribution to strengthening of the defense power of the Soviet State and by its armed they are sewn, the successes in the combat and political training and in connection with the 50- anniversary of the Soviet Army and the navy by the Decree of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR Leningrad military district was rewarded with the Order of Lenin.
The proceeding recently changes in the military-political situation in the world, the geo-strategic positions of the Russian Federation, social and economic the condition for its development caused the need for the revision of the policy of national security, military policy and development of the military doctrine, in which from the new positions were examined the tasks of the military organization of state, including armed forces.
The command of Leningrad military district considers as its principal duty the guarantee of the guaranteed accomplishment of mission of the armed protection of national interests on northwest of the country by the optimum composition of groupings of troops of region, which correspond to economic and mobilization possibilities.
Since 1992 of subdivision, part and formation of the Leningrad military district they were assigned to the peacemaking activity in those regions, where the military conflicts appeared.
In 1994-1995 g.g. a number of parts and subdivisions were directed to the North-Caucasian military district in connection with the aggravation the situations in Chechnya. Within the period from 1994 through 2001 more than 100 Generals and the staff officers of region took direct part in organization and taking of counter-terrorist measures in the territory of the North Caucasus.
Being located to the point of solution of organizational and practical problems, the staff of region successfully manages all entrusted to it responsibilities. The planned work on the reformation of troops of region is carried out accurately and in time.
Today the staff of Leningrad military district - this is the organ of the Arms Forces Administration, whose basis compose the military professionals of high level, the Generals and officers, who have after the arms the combat and practical experience of the accomplishment of the most varied objectives. Them distinguish high competence, skill to solve complex operational problems, workshop possession of combat materiel and of weapon, solid will and the determination to ensure constant alert of staff and troops of region.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|