Find a Security Clearance Job!

Military


Admiralty Shipyard

    Imeni A. Marti Shipbuilding Works Number 194
    Admiralteisky Shipbuilding Plant
    Admiralty Shipyard Joint Stock Company
    Obedineniye "Admiralteyskiye Verfi" 
    Leningradskoye Admiralteyskoye obedineniye (LAO)
    
    190008, St Petersburg, Russia 
    Naberezhnaya Reki Fontanki, 203
    Telephone: (011-7-812) 114-09-81
    Telex: 121202 RIF SU
    Teletype:121721 RIF
    Fax: (011-7-812) 311-13-71
    

FORMER MINISTRY SUBORDINATION: Ministry of the Shipbuilding Industry
APPROXIMATE EMPLOYMENT: Total: 10,000; Date: 1991
PRINCIPAL OFFICERS:
Vladimir L. Aleksandrov, General Director
Yegor V.Kozlov, Commercial Director

The Admiralty yard in St. Petersburg is one of the oldest and largest shipyards in Russia. The yard's building ways can accommodate ships up 70,000 deadweight tons, 250 meters in length and 35 meters in width. Military products include naval warships such as nuclear and diesel-powered submarines and large auxiliaries. The oldest shipyard, the Main Admiralty Yards, was founded in 1705 but closed in 1844; shipbuilding soon shifted to the New Admiralty Shipyards about a mile downstream on the left bank of the Neva (during the Soviet period renamed for A. Marti and referred to as No. 194). In 1908, the New Admiralty Yard merged with the second-largest shipyard in Russia, on Galernyi Island. The enlarged New Admiralty Yard built two Gangut-classdreadnoughts and two of the Borodino class. In 1939 the keel was laid down herefor the first of the Kronshtadt-class battle cruisers (never finished) of Stalin'sbig-fleet program.

Admiralty became a joint-stock company in the mid-1990s. It was established as the New Admiralty yard in 1800, supplementing and soon replacing the Main Admiralty yard that had been founded in the center of the city a century earlier, and was transferred to its current location as the Admiralty Shipyard in 1908. It was a major builder of battleships in the 19th century and submarines and cruisers in the 20th.

Work at the yard resumed in 1921: the plant was involved in re-equipping of ships for the navy and their repair. In 1922 the enterprise was named after Marti (the former name, Admiralteisky Shipbuilding Plant, was returned in 1957). The plant received an order to build torpedo cutters, a major class of light naval vessels, in 1926 after ratification of the first Soviet shipbuilding program. Initially shipbuilding was revived at the former dockyard of Galerny Island. The Imeni A. Marti Shipbuilding Works Number 194 at Leningrad was located on Galerni Island. By the 1930s it was capable of building 2 up-to-date capital ships and about 8 smaller vessels or submarines -simultaneously. The north and south concrete slips could build ships 770 ft. by 105 ft.; it could be converted into 2 tracks for building 4 ships 380 ft. by 55 ft.; there were in addition 15 wooden slips. Associated engineering- works constructed engines, boilers, and auxiliary machinery for all tjrpes of smaller vessels. There were two graving docks and on floating drydock of 4000-ton capacity,

Admiralty Shipyard was long known for its output of merchant ships rather than naval ships. Merchant ship production consisted of dry cargo ships and tankers, passenger ships, and fishing ships, including the 45,000 ton fish factory ship Voetok, which was fitting out at the shipyard berth in 1970. Although Admiralty Shipyard was a late entrant in the program for nuclear submarines, it was the lead yard in nuclear powerplants for Soviet surface ships when it produced the world's first nuclear-powered icebreaker, Lenin. Naval ship construction had inlcluded a battleship (prior to World War) cruisers, submarines, and motor gunboats.

Since the mid-1950s its surface-ship facilities have specialized in large merchant ships, icebreakers, large rescue and salvage ships, fish-factory ships, floating dry docks, and a few naval auxiliaries (notably the three large missile range support ships of the Marshal Nedelin class). In 1966 the yard resumed submarine production with the delivery of a Victor I-class nuclear attack submarine, and production of Victor II and Victor III-class nuclear and Kilo-class diesel submarines followed.

Military shipbuilding consists of orders from the Russian Ministry of Defense and export orders for foreign governments. The shipyard's military orders are primarily submarines, but also include non-military repair, modernization and building of other underwater technical innovations for oceanic development. The shipyard's latest development is the Amur type submarine, which does not yet have a customer. The construction of underwater vessels constitutes 70% of the total production volume of the shipyard.

Admiralty Shipyard started to build commercial vessels in 1989, with priority given to constructing sea tankers. As of 1998 the shipyard had a portfolio of shipbuilding orders until 2002. This included an order for five tankers for the Russian company LUKOIL and two chemical tankers for the German company Scholler Holding Ltd., with deliveries in 2000-2001. The steel for the tankers, measuring between 24-28 mm thick, is provided by Russian metallurgy plants (Cherepovets, Ural, Izhora, and Mariupol, which are considered to be very good in terms of quality and price). The engines are provided by Bryansk Diesel Factory, acting under license from Brumeister.

Admiralty is still producing sea-going vessels, but it is also expanding into other technologies and products to support itself. Admiralty is offering additional product lines,including blast furnaces and steel mill equipment, rolling mill machinery, welding apparatus, metal stampings, aluminum extruded products, non-wire steel springs, measuring and controlling devices, metal barrels, drums and pails, as well as reconstituted wood products.

Civilian product lines include merchant ships; submersibles; ship components including deck installations, boilers, water piping, propellers, ductwork, electrical equipment, and stateroom furniture; agricultural equipment including animal husbandry machines, grain elevators, and fodder processing equipment; engineering and building maintenance services; motor vehicle components; industrial machinery and equipment including automated pneumatic systems, lubrication equipment, filtration devices, rubber technology items, electrical equipment, and servomechanisms; wood and metal office furniture; scrap and waste metals reprocessing; containers; fiber processing machines; non-household plastic products; medicinal materials including equipment and instruments; warm air heating and air-conditioning equipment; construction materials; consumer products including tourist and sports equipment, dyes and household chemicals, and household furniture.

Old Admiralty Shipyard

Admiralty Shipyard, the first ship-building enterprise in St. Petersburg, was laid down on the left bank of the Bolshaya Neva on 5 November 1704 at the same time as the Admiralty, with chief commandant Y. V. Bruce as the construction manager. The Admiralty Fortress was erected to protect the shipyard and the Admiralty. One dock and 9 slipways were constructed by 1716. A ship named Nadezhda (Hope) was the first ever vessel laid down on July 5, 1708 and launched on July 28, 1708, and the Poltava was the first warship laid down on December 5, 1709 and launched on June 15, 1712. In 1712, there were as many as 6 warships including the 90-gun Lesnoe and the 110-gun Peter I and Peter II and 50 smaller vessels under construction at the Admiralty Shipyard. Shipbuilding was gradually cut back from 1800; the Admiralty Shipyard was closed down in 1843. A total of 78 warships, 39 frigates, and over 100 other ships and vessels were built at the Admiralty Shipyard. The Navy Department sold the territory of the shipyard in 1870s to be built up.




NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list