6th Infantry Division
The 6th Infantry Division was originally activated as the 4th Brigade on April 29, 1948 at Seoul under Col. Ch'ae Byong Dok. The Korean Insititute of Military History indicates that the unit was originally comprised of the 7th, 8th, and 10th Regiments, which had all been activated roughly one year earlier. On November 20, 2948 the 4th Brigade was reorganized and redesignated the 6th Brigade, commanded by Lt. Col. Yu Jae Hung. The 6th Brigade was located at Ch'ongju.
On May 12, 1949 the 6th Brigade was reorganized and redesignated as the 6th Division commanded by now Col. Yu Jae Hung. The Division was located at Wonju and consisted of the 2nd, 7th, and 9th Regiments.
Following its activation the 6th Division was positioned near the 38th parallel.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|