2nd Infantry Division
The 2nd Infantry Division was originally activated as the 2nd Brigade on December 1, 1947 at Taejon under Col. Won Yong Dok. The Korean Insititute of Military History indicates that the unit was originally comprised of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Regiments, which had all been activated roughly one year earlier, but the 2nd and 3rd were also thought to have been attached to the 1st and/or 7th Brigades. On May 12, 1949 the 2nd Brigade was reorganized and reactivated as the 2nd Division commanded by Col. Yu Sung Ryol. The Division was located at Taejon and consisted of the 5th, 16th, and 25th Regiments.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|