116 Squadron - The Flying Wing
The Israeli Air Force established the 116 squadron in 1956 using P-51D and Mystere IVA aircraft previously operated by the 101 squadron. The squadron was nicknamed "The Wirecutters Squadron" for its actions in the Suez Campaign which involved purposefully running through Egyptian telegraph wire in order to damage communications. Facing superior Egyptian MiGs and Meteors, the 116 squadron lost nine P-51D Mustangs in the Suez campaign.
In 1961, the 116 squadron had phased out the P-51D Mustang and reformed solely on the Mystere IVA, which it continued to operate for the next ten years. In 1970, the 116 squadron began receiving A-4E Skyhawks, which it operated in the Yom Kippuer War of 1973, and upgraded to the A-4N variant in 1975. In the early 1990s, the squadron upgraded to the F-16.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|