115 Squadron - The Flying Dragon
The 115 squadron was formed in 1948 and was made up of the DH89A Dragon Rapide aircraft until 1956. In the same year, the 115 squadron received several Mosquito aircraft, as well as several Meteor T.7s.
In 1960, the squadron was disbanded after the Israeli Air Force withdrew the Mosquito aircraft from service and reallocated the Meteor T.7 to other squadrons. The 115 squadron began operating the Ouragan aircraft in November 1964, and it also received 24 A-4E Skyhawk aircraft in 1969. The 115 squadron continued operating several A-4 Skyhawk variants until it was upgraded to the F-16A and F-16B in the early 1990s.
Some sources report that the 115 squadron will transition to flying F-16I aircraft sometime between 2006-2008 and possibly move to Ramon or Tel Nof.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|