114 Squadron - The Night Leaders
The 114 squadron was formed in March 1949 and was originally composed of Avro Ansons and Airspeed Consuls from the British Royal Air Force. Along with several other squadrons, the 114 was temporarily disbanded in 1956. Ten years later in 1966, the squadron was reformed with several SA321 Super Frelon helicopters.
By the Six Day War in 1967, only five SA321 helicopters had arrived in Israel, but seven more arrived soon afterwards. During the next several years, the 114 squadron participated in several transport missions, including casualty transportation in the Yom Kippur War.
Not long after the Yom Kippur War, Israel received a number of former US Marine Corps CH-53A helicopters, which were later upgraded to S-65C specifications. After serving once again as transport equipment in 1982, the Super Frelon helicopters were finally withdrawn in 1991.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|