105 Squadron - The Scorpion
The 105 squadron was formed in 1950 and Israel originally planned for it to assist the 101 squadron. The 105 squadron started with several Spitfires as well as a number of P-51D Mustangs. The squadron was temporarily disbanded in 1956 when the Spitfire aircraft were retired, but was reformed with Super Mystere B.2 aircraft in 1958.
The 105 served in the Six Day War, downing 16 enemy aircraft while losing only nine. In the years after the war, 26 Super Mystere aircraft were modified to accomodate the J52 engine used in the A-4N, which saw service in the Yom Kippur War of 1973. The Super Mystere aircraft were retired in 1975 and replaced with the F-4E Phantom. In 1991, the 105 squadron began operating more than two dozen F-16C and F-16D aircraft. As of July 2005, the 105 squadron began flying only F-16D aircraft.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|