4th Fighter Division
The 4th Fighter Division was traces its lineage to the redesignation of the 4th Combined Brigade in October 1950 to the 4th Pursuit Brigade, initially comprised of MiG-15s and based at Liaoyang, Liaoning Province. In late October 1950 the 4th Pursuit Brigade's composition was reorganized so that instead of three regiments it had only two, the brigade was reorganized and redesignated the 4th Division.
The current composition of the division is somewhat unclear, as Ken Allen's work indicates that the unit was throughout most of the 1950s and later comprised of only the 10th and 12th Regiments. Other sources, primarily Rick Kamer's China-Military.org lists an 11th Regiment.
The division is believed to be equipped with J-7E fighter aircraft.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|