UNITED24 - Make a charitable donation in support of Ukraine!

Military

Iran Press TV

Lebanon lodges UN complaint over Israeli wall construction on its territory

Iran Press TV

Friday, 28 November 2025 6:22 PM

Lebanon has submitted a complaint to the UN Security Council against Israel for building a wall that the UN peacekeeping mission (UNIFIL) says is in Lebanese territory.

In a statement released on Friday, the Lebanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed that the complaint was submitted through the country's Permanent Mission to the United Nations in New York to the 15-member council.

Lebanon called on the council and the UN Secretariat to take immediate action to deter Israel from violating Lebanese sovereignty.

According to the complaint, the violation consists of Israel building two T-shaped concrete separation walls in the southwest and southeast of Yaroun, inside internationally recognized Lebanese borders.

The construction of these two walls results in the seizure of additional Lebanese land and constitutes a breach of UN Security Council Resolution 1701 and the 2024 declaration of cessation of hostilities, it noted.

Elsewhere, it called on the council to force Israel to remove the two walls and ensure its immediate withdrawal south of the Blue Line from all areas it still occupies within Lebanon, including the five border sites.

This came after Lebanese President Joseph Aoun instructed the Foreign Ministry to file an urgent complaint with the world body over the wall.

UNIFIL recently warned that Israel's military had built walls in south Lebanon near the UN-demarcated Blue Line, the demarcation line dividing the Arab country from the Israeli-occupied territories.

UNIFIL said it has informed the Israeli army of its findings and demanded that they remove the wall.

UNIFIL went on to explain that "Israeli presence and construction in Lebanese territory are violations of Security Council resolution 1701 and of Lebanon's sovereignty and territorial integrity," referring to the UN resolution that ended a 2006 war between Israel and the Hezbollah resistance movement.

The resolution, which brokered a ceasefire in the 33-day-long war Israel launched against Lebanon in 2006, calls on the occupying Tel Aviv regime to respect Lebanese sovereignty and territorial integrity.

The resolution also formed the basis of last November's truce deal.

The Israeli army killed more than 4,000 people and injured nearly 17,000 in its attacks on Lebanon, which began in October 2023 and turned into a full-scale aggression in September 2024.

Israel and Hezbollah reached a ceasefire agreement that took effect on November 27, 2024. Under the deal, Tel Aviv was required to withdraw fully from the Lebanese territory, but has kept forces stationed at five sites, in clear violation of the 1701 resolution and the terms of last November's agreement.

Since the implementation of the ceasefire, Israel has violated the agreement multiple times through repeated assaults on the Lebanese territory. Israel has kept up its near-daily attacks on south and east Lebanon.

The Lebanese Health Ministry, in an update, said Friday that at least 335 people had been killed and 973 injured by Israeli fire since a ceasefire agreement took effect in November last year.

UNIFIL has recorded more than 10,000 air and ground violations by Israel inside Lebanese territory since the ceasefire.

Lebanese authorities have warned that the Israeli regime's violations of the ceasefire threaten national stability.

Hezbollah Secretary General Sheikh Naim Qassem reiterated last week that the US and Israel's calls for the disarmament of the resistance group were designed to weaken Lebanon and leave it exposed to external aggression.

He described the calls for the disarmament of Hezbollah as "a pretext" for launching an aggression on Lebanon.

Lebanese lawmaker Hassan Fadlallah, in recent remarks, stressed that Lebanon "will not be an easy prey" in the face of any new Israeli aggression.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list