The Naval Computer and Telecommunications Area Master Station, Pacific, (NCTAMS PAC), Wahiawa, Hawaii is the world's largest communication station. The headquarters site of this shore command is located in the central section of the island of Oahu, approximately three miles north of Wahiawa, often referred to as the "Pineapple Capital of the World".
NCTAMS PAC's Wahiawa site was purchased for one million dollars in 1930 from the territory of Hawaii with construction completed in 1942 on 694 acres of land. In all, NCTAMS PAC maintains 131 facilities on 2,421 acres of land island wide and as a tenant of other commands.
An unofficial communications intelligence site established at Wailupe in 1925 was given official status in 1931 and authorized one billet by Admiral Pratt, CNO. Ineffective because of poor signal hearability, the Wailupe site was moved to Heeia in 1934.
NCTAMS PAC Wahiawa was originally established in 1940 as a temporary Naval Radio Station and Naval Radio Direction Finder Station, but the need to expand receiving facilities and to separate transmitting and receiving facilities forced expansion at NCTAMS PAC Wahiawa. The expansion schedule was accelerated after the attack on Pearl Harbor and receiver functions at Wailupe and Lualualei were consolidated at Wahiawa by the end of 1941. After the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in December 1941, to further improve reception and communications, the communications intelligence site was moved to Wahiawa. Military activities at NCTAMS PAC decreased after World War II, but were increased in the early 1950s during the Korean War and in the early 1960s during the Vietnam War
NCTAMS PAC Wahiawa is home to 650 residents, including dependents, who are housed in family housing and barracks. The station employs 754 people, 109 of whom are civilians.
The NCTAMS EASTPAC housing area is located in the Wahiawa District, in the central plateau of Oahu. The land around the station is largely devoted to pineapple cultivation. The station is about three vehicular miles from the town of Wahiawa and 21 miles from downtown Honolulu. This 140-unit housing area is undergoing revitalization of its 1942, 1943 and 1965 generation homes. Only after revitalization are homes assigned to new families. The community houses Senior Officers (O6), Field Grade Officers (O4-O5) and Junior Officers (O1-O3, W1-W4) and all enlisted (E1-E9) families. Homes are two-, three- and four-bedroom, one or two-story, single family or 2- or 4-plex structures. Revitalized homes include units accessible for wheelchair individuals and are handicap adaptable.
NCTAMS PAC Wahiawa is located on approximately 700 acres of land in central Oahu on the eastern side of the highest part of the Schofield Plateau, at an elevation ranging from 1,050 to 1,300 feet above mean sea level. The deep soils of the surface are dissected by narrow, steep-sided ravines; these ravines divide the station into a northern area used for receiver facilities, and a southern area containing communications and support facilities. Land adjacent to NCTAMS PAC Wahiawa consists of conservation land and pineapple fields. The town of Whitmore Village lies ½ mile to the southwest. The city of Wahiawa lies 1 mile to the south and is separated from NCTAMS PAC Wahiawa by a deep gulch. Helemano Military Reservation, a 282-acre Army sub-installation, is located north of NCTAMS PAC Wahiawa.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|