O'Hare IAP Air Reserve Station
O'Hare International Airport was named for U.S. Navy Lt. Cmdr. Edward H. "Butch" O'Hare, a Medal of Honor recipient killed Nov. 26, 1943, in battle for the Gilbert Islands. it is located 22 mi. northwest of Chicago's loop.
The 1995 the Defense Base Closure and Realignment Comission modified the closure of O'Hare IAP Air Reserve Station as recommended by the 1993 Defense Base Closure and Realignment Commission by deactivating the 928th Airlift Wing (AFRES), rather than relocating the unit, and distributing its C-130 aircraft to Air Force Reserve C-130 units at Dobbins ARB, Georgia and Peterson AFB, Colorado, or as appropriate.
BRAC-95 closed O'Hare IAP Air Reserve Station as proposed by the City of Chicago; relocate the 126th Air Refueling Wing (ANG) to Scott AFB, Illinois, and relocate the remaining assigned Air National Guard units to locations acceptable to the Secretary of the Air Force provided the City of Chicago can demonstrate that it has financing in place to cover the full cost of replacing facilities (except for FAA grants for airport planning and development that would otherwise be eligible for Federal financial assistance to serve the needs of civil aviation at the receiving location), environmental impact analyses, moving, and any added costs of environmental cleanup resulting from higher standards or a faster schedule than DoD would be obliged to meet if the base did not close, without any cost whatsoever to the Federal government. If the City of Chicago agreed to fund the full cost of relocating the Army Reserve activity, such activity was to be relocated to a mutually acceptable site; otherwise it shall remain. BRAC-95 extended the commencement of the closure from the recommendation of the 1993 Commission to July, 1996 with a completion date no later than July, 1999. If these conditions were not met, the 126th Air Refueling Wing (ANG) and other assigned units were to remain at O'Hare International Airport.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|