Defense Depot Susquehanna, Pennsylvania (DDSP)
Defense Distribution Depot Susquehanna, Pennsylvania was created in 1991 with the merger of New Cumberland Army Depot and Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) Defense Depot Mechanicsburg into a single site. Comprised of over two thousand employees, DDSP operates a campus in Mechanicsburg and New Cumberland and is the largest Department of Defense wholesale distribution depot in the United States. DDSP is the eastern DLA Primary Distribution Site with its administrative headquarters, the Defense Distribution Center (DDC), located in Fairview Township at New Cumberland, PA. DDSP provides military and commercial repair parts, clothing and textiles, medical supplies, and industrial and electronic components to military customers throughout the United States and the world.
Greater Harrisburg Pennsylvania Area military establishments include Mechanicsburg NAVICP Naval Depot, New Cumberland Army Depot, Carlisle Barracks and War College. The nearby Three Mile Island facility was site of a nuclear accident in 1979.
New Cumberland Army Depot (NCAD) is located on 850 acres near Harrisburg. The New Cumberland Site encompasses three DLA entities: Defense Distribution Region East (DDRE) Headquarters [which was dis-established in 1998], Administrative Support Center East (ASCE), and Defense Distribution Depot Susquehanna Pennsylvania (DDSP).
The installation encompasses 851 acres along the Susquehanna River in New Cumberland, Pennsylvania about 5 miles south of Harrisburg. The depot is bordered by the Susquehanna River to the north and east, the Pennsylvania Turnpike to the south, the Capital City Airport to the north and west, and a residential community to the west. Facilities within the installation include over 200 buildings, 26 miles of road, and 18 miles of railroad. The installation employs about 3,000 civilian and 100 military personnel, making it one of the area's top 10 employers. The impact on central Pennsylvania's economy is significant. with more than $240 million per year spent on payroll and related expenses.
The Quartermaster Department had originally built the depot at New Cumberland in 1918, naming it the Marsh Run Storage Depot. The installation was used as a storage and distribution point for supplies to and from Europe during WWI. After World War I it was designated an Army Reserve Depot for the storage of quartermaster, signal, ordnance, engineering, and chemical wear materiel. In 1960, aircraft hangar and maintenance shops were constructed for U.S. Army helicopters and other aircraft. In 1962, the installation's name changed to New Cumberland Army Depot (NCAD). During the Vietnam War, the New Cumberland Army Depot primarily focused on overhaul/repair of the CH-47 Chinook helicopter, especially the rotor blades. In April 1976, the Department of the Army announced the possible realignment of the Aircraft Depot Maintenance workload at New Cumberland to Corpus Christi, Texas. This consolidation move would concentrate all Aircraft maintenance into a prime facility constructed for the sole purpose of maintaining aircraft. Aircraft repair for the Mohawk OV, UTE-21, Cayuse OH-58, and components for several aircraft were transferred to Corpus Christi. Some maintenance work was also commercially contracted out.
In 1984, aircraft maintenance operations were discontinued, and NCAD's mission was modified to function solely as a major supply depot. The phase-out of the Rotor blade program at New Cumberland and its transfer to Corpus Christi was completed by October 1, 1985. New Cumberland participated in the U.S. Army's Operation Dragon Tail in 1990 by delivering supplies directly from the wholesale level to awaiting soldiers on the ground at Fort Bragg, NC. In 1991, NCAD merged into DLA, and the name of the depot was changed to DDRE-New Cumberland Site. In 1992, the New Cumberland Army Depot transferred from the U.S. Army Depot System Command (DESCOM) to the Defense Logistic Agency (DLA). The Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) nominated DDRE-New Cumberland Site for the FY96 Secretary of Defense Environmental Security Award, for the category of "Environmental Cleanup for an Installation."
DRMS and its customers continue to reap benefits from implementation of the Recycling Control Point (RCP), an automated process for disposal of excess personal property stored in DLA's distribution depots. Defense Distribution Depot New Cumberland and Defense Distribution Depot Mechanicsburg, both in central Pennsylvania, are the latest sites where RCP is operating, bringing nine depots into this automated world. Implementation of RCP at these last two depots coincided with a pilot program developed in coordination with GSA to improve the RCP program.
Strategically positioned near the center of the Philadelphia/ Baltimore/Pittsburgh triangle and within easy access of most northeastern U.S. urban centers, Harrisburg is the hub of a metropolitan area having more than 500,000 people. Established in 1785, Harrisburg became the state's capital in 1812 and was incorporated as a city in 1860. Harrisburg was said to be the objective of General Robert E. Lee as he and his troops marched northward in 1863. only to be called to Gettysburg before crossing the Susquehanna River. Its location, and resulting transportation benefits, coupled with the city as the seat of the state and county governments, make Harrisburg not only a major business and political center, but a community in which the quality of life is excellent. In the last decade, Harrisburg has experienced a phenomenal resurgence with more than $850 million invested in new construction, ehabilitation and economic growth.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|