Located in the city of Moehringen on the southeast corner of Stuttgart, Kelley is surrounded by rich woods and fertile farmland. When the base was built in 1938, the German military struck a deal with Moehringen's government because the new facilities were to replace highly cultivated nurseries. In the end, the military agreed to remove no more than 20 percent of the original trees, a compromise that gives the post its character today.
Kelley is the home of the 6th Area Support Group headquarters. It also has a theater center, a gas station, a bowling center and a bank. Civilians and family members will become familiar with Kelley when they visit the personnel offices located there. Kelley is the only post without an elementary school. Students commute by bus to Patch Elementary School. Kelley is the installation closest to the Stuttgart Army Airfield, located beside Stuttgart's commercial airport.
The new eight-story Kelley Hotel opened 02 August 2001, and should ease the temporary housing crunch at Kelley Barracks. The hotel replaced the 13-room Kelley Guest House as the primary facility for temporary lodging, with the guest house being used for overflow guests. The hotel, located next to the Kelley Guest House, cost $10 million to build, $2 million under budget. Planning for the hotel began about 3½ years ago after the Kelley Guest House kept turning away people who were waiting for a permanent place to stay or who were in Stuttgart on military business.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|