Katterbach Kaserne & Bismarck Kaserne, Germany
Located in the village of Katterbach, the posts are three miles from Ansbach on highway 14 toward Nuernberg, and cover an area of approximately 863 acres. Construction began in 1935 and was completed in 1938. During World War II, the German air force flew missions from Katterbach to Poland, France, England, and Russia. After the war, the Unites States took control of the two posts and the first US unit to be garrisoned there was the 1st Infantry Division. In 1964, an aviation unit moved to the airfield. It was redesignated to the 48th Aviation Company and later moved to Stuttgart in 1975. Current occupants of the installation include 4th Brigade 1st Infantry Division which consists of aviation and maintenance units, and Air Force liaison (weather).
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|