Find a Security Clearance Job!

Military


Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

During the Gulf War Repair ships like the destroyer tenders USS YELLOWSTONE (AD 41), USS ACADIA (AD 42) and USS CAPE COD (AD 43) were deployed to fulfill logistics requirements of sustained naval presence. Based in the Red Sea port of Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, YELLOWSTONE provided critical repair and rearming capability to the fleet. During seven months on station YELLOWSTONE alone completed more than 10,000 repair jobs on 30 US and allied ships. The Navy men and women serving aboard tenders and other repair ships provided a wide variety of services simultaneously to as many as five ships moored along side or nearby. Jeddah was also the site of the Combat Logistic Stores Facility (CLSF). CLSF Jeddah gave replenishment ships assigned to the Red Sea the ability to re-stock, repair and re-arm without depending on the Suez Canal as their logistics link. The replenishment and maintenance effort both ashore and underway, kept battle groups on-station and ready throughout DESERT SHIELD/STORM, a key factor in keeping Iraq locked in.

During a 226 day deployment in support of Operation Desert Storm, USS JOHN F. KENNEDY was underway for 196 days, travelled 50,000 miles, and made the first-ever aircraft carrier Red Sea port visits to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia and Hurghada, Egypt.

Jeddah, located on the Red Sea coast, is the principal port of Saudi Arabia. The discovery of oil deposits in Saudi Arabia in 1936 changed the face of Jeddah. Traditionally a point of entry for Muslim pilgrims on their annual hajj, or pilgrimage, to Mecca (Makkah), Jeddah became a busy commercial port after oil was discovered, and the demolition of the city walls in 1947, ushered in the city's contemporary era. Although Jeddah started as a quiet spice trading port, today it outshines other major Saudi Arabian cities as the country's busiest seaport, air terminal, and business and industrial center.

Jeddah Port has an excellent location in the middle of the international shipping route between east and west. The port lies on the Red Sea coast at latitude 28 21' north and longitude 39 10' east. It is the kingdom's principal port serving the holy cities of Makkah and Madinah. The port serves the commercial centers through which 59% of the kingdom's imports by sea are being handled. The importance of Jeddah Islamic Port increased and reached its maximum limit when the Kingdom was developing into a modern and civilized country.

The Kingdom established the Seaport Authority, in September 1976, whereupon it started developing Jeddah Islamic Port and its facilities were expanded from modest 10 operational berths in 1976 to the 58 berths of international status in service today. Jeddah Islamic Port is a congestion free harbor occupies 10.5 square kilo meters, with 58 deep water quays having an overall length of 11.2 kilometers with a draft reaching 16 meters. Which can accommodate the latest generation of large container vessels (with a capacity of 6500 TEUs).



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list