New Orleans, Louisiana
Down river from the French Quarter, Jackson Barracks houses the Louisiana National Guard Headquarters. This series of fine brick buildings with white columns were built in 1834-35 for troops who were stationed at the river forts. Reportedly Andrew Jackson planned the barracks to be as secure against attack from the city as from outside forces.
Maps prepared in the mid-1800s show that the area's first development began in the 1820s. The Ursuline Nuns developed an 80-acre parcel for their convent in 1826. Sugar was a dominant crop, and the Louisiana Sugar Refinery, dated 1831, is shown along with several plantations. The complex known as Jackson Barracks is one of the earliest and most noteworthy institutions in the area. The U.S. government began assembling land in 1833 to provide a central garrison, medical and supply point for troops sent to several coastal forts built after the War of 1812. Although only one block wide at the river, the Barracks stretch 25 blocks lakeward, with only three streets crossing the complex-Dauphine, St. Claude and N. Claiborne.
On January 8, 1815, Major General Andrew Jackson led a small, poorly-equipped army to victory against eight thousand British troops at the Battle of New Orleans. The victory made Jackson a national hero. The anniversary of the Battle of New Orleans was widely celebrated with parties and dances during the nineteenth century, especially in the South. A traditional fiddle tune commemorating the event came to be known as "Jackson's Victory" or "The Eighth of January." Jackson went on to serve as the seventh president of the United States in 1829.
Jackson Barracks Military Museum is in the old powder magazine and in a new annex. It holds artifacts dating back to the War of 1812, and it includes items from as recently as the Gulf War. The 2000 NRA Shooting Sports Camp and Coaches School was held at Jackson Barracks June 28 - July 2, 2000
DEFY (Drug Education For Youth) operates annual Summer Camps and as well year-round monitoring through a cooperative effort between USAOEDLA, the U.S. Navy (Belle Chase Naval Air Station) and the Louisiana National Guard (Jackson Barracks). In the summer of 1998, a new military partner joined the DEFY Program. The Louisiana National Guard's first residential DEFY Camp was held August 10-15 at Jackson Barracks, New Orleans and attracted approximately 33 students from the designated Weed and Seed area. The campers enjoyed a visit to the National Guard's museum, and a trip to the Lakefront airport, where they climbed aboard many different kinds of military planes.
In its 2005 BRAC Recommendations, DoD recommended to relocate the 214th Engineering Installation Squadron (ANG), a geographically separated unit at Jackson Barracks, LA, onto available facilities at New Orleans.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|