Battle Creek Federal Center
The Battle Creek Federal Center buildings have been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1976, and on the Register of Historic Places for both the State of Michigan and City of Battle Creek since September 1989. The reason for this distinction is not that the buildings are old, big or important looking, but because of the many significant things which have happened here since 1866. Since 1876, Dr. John Harvey Kellogg became Physician in Chief of the Western Health Reform Institute, the first health retreat operated by the Seventh-day Adventists. In 1878 he built a new structure on the site of the present Federal Center and named it the Battle Creek Sanitarium. In 1942, the U.S. Army bought the complex and converted the buildings into the Percy Jones Army Hospital. The Army operated the 1,500 bed hospital through World War II and the Korean Conflict.
In 1954, the buildings were placed under the control of the General Services Administration (GSA). The first tenant was the Federal Civil Defense Administration. In 1959, the complex was renamed the Federal Center. The Federal Center today houses 15 tenants. The workforce is evenly divided between men and women and 30 percent of the workforce have a military background. The Federal Center is currently undergoing a renovation project which is almost completed. The estimated cost of the project is $29 million. There is an active wellness program featuring various health and fitness activities.
The Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service (DRMS) Headquarters is located in Battle Creek, Mich
The Defense Logistics Information Service [DLIS] primary mission is to support all logistics functions of the DoD, other Government Agencies and foreign governments through the collection, processing, storage and dissemination of the data in the Federal Logistics Information System (FLIS). DLIS uses the FLIS as the primary means to organize and maintain information from the Federal Catalog System. The processing and dissemination of logistics information takes place on six million items of supply - from hand grenades and guided missiles, to propeller blades and space vehicles, to soap dishes and washing machines. Using a specially tailored universal logistics language, DLIS identifies supply items at locations around the world. It describes items, tells who uses and manages each item, and where it is stocked, stored, and issued. Logistics data is the key to military readiness and DLIS' mission is critical to that readiness. DLIS serves as the United States representative in all matters relating to international codification to NATO and other foreign governments. We provide technical assistance and guidance on the operation, principles, and procedures of international codification, and serve on NATO panels and task groups. In 1985, DLA assigned DLIS the new mission of implementing and maintaining the Military Engineering Data Asset Locator System (MEDALS). DLIS provides training to the logistics community to keep services and agencies informed on how to use the FCS and MEDALS, and to keep everyone aware of enhancements to the FLIS.
The roots of the DLIS mission trace back to the World War II era when each of the military services operated independently and maintained a separate supply system with its own methods and procedures for cataloging their items. As a result, many items were given a different name by each of the services, making efficient use of available stock impossible. These inefficiencies led to the passage of two key laws after the war. Public Law 81-152, the Federal Property & Administration Services Act of 1949, called for the establishment of a common logistics language known as the Federal Catalog System (FCS). The first Federal stock number was assigned by the Army-Navy Munitions Board in 1949. In 1952, Public Law 82-436, Defense Cataloging and Standardization Act was passed assigning the responsibility for creating and maintaining this system to the Department of Defense (DoD).
In 1958, the DoD established a new agency in Washington, D.C., the Armed Forces Supply Support Center (AFSSC) and assigned it the mission of administration of the FCS. When the Defense Supply Agency (now Defense Logistics Agency or DLA) was created in 1961, DoD delegated this responsibility and mission to DLA along with management oversight of the AFSSC. Soon afterwards, the decision was made to rename the AFSSC to the Defense Logistics Services Center (DLSC) and relocate the center to Battle Creek, Michigan. DLSC became fully operational in Battle Creek in January 1963. At this time, DLSC was assigned two additional DoD programs, surplus sales and recycling usable equipment. In 1971, as the result of a congressional commission recommendation to centralize all aspects of DoD property disposal these programs were transferred over to a new agency established in the Federal Center, previously known as the Defense Property Disposal Service (currently Defense Reutilization Marketing Service).
Since its establishment, DLSC has undergone several major operational changes. In 1965, the Defense Integrated Data System, commonly referred to as DIDS, was approved which began the ten year initiative to automate the FCS. This was followed by a major reorganization creating the new Directorate of Systems Management and the Office of Telecommunications and Information Systems. In 1985, the DoD tasked DLSC with the development of the Military Engineering Data Asset Locator System. MEDALS is an automated data repository utilized by engineers, equipment specialists, catalogers and provisioners to facilitate the location of technical data and engineering drawings. The next major milestone was the development and implementation of the modernized system known as the Federal Logistics Information System (FLIS), a 12 year, $61M project. The modernized system afforded DLSC the capability to develop various state-of-the-art technological advancements in logistics information distribution ranging from tailored extracts to CD-ROM and On-Line services.
The 1990s brought about many changes for DLSC. In 1993 was the 30th Anniversary celebration, along with the decision to remove DLSC from the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) list. In 1996 the modernized computer system migrated to the Megacenter in Columbus, Ohio along with the technical systems operators. However, in 1997 the DoD decision was made to centralize and consolidate cataloging for the entire Defense Department in Battle Creek. Culminating this announcement, on January 18, 1998, DLSC's name was changed to better reflect its new mission to the Defense Logistics Information Service (DLIS). In January 2000, DLIS completed the entire DoD cataloging transition seven months ahead of the original OSD schedule. DLIS is now streamlining the internal cataloging processes yielding practices that are more efficient and better use of resources.
Battle Creek and the surrounding community of Calhoun County start back in 1866 when James and Ellen White opened the Battle Creek Sanitarium. The SAN was first known as the Health Reform Institute. Dr. John Harvey Kellogg joined the Whites ten years later and spent the next 25 years developing the Battle Creek Sanitarium into an institution recognized around the world for its "health building and training" regimen of hydrotherapy, exercise and vegetarian diet. People soon converged on Battle Creek hoping to capitalize on the city's renown as the "Health City" as well as on the skilled work force which already knew the secrets of making the "healthy" cereal products. From 1901 to 1905 more than 1,500 new homes were constructed at a time. Even before the boom began, Battle Creek was home to more than 100 manufacturing establishments. It was the fastest growing industrial center in Michigan Workers were paid the highest hourly wages in the state. Termed the "Queen City," Battle Creek workers could earn almost $600 a year for working 10 hour days, six days a week. Even then Battle Creek was located at several major rail lines and supplied the world with agricultural machinery, industrial steam pumps, newspaper printing presses and publications from the "largest printing establishment between Buffalo and Chicago." Today, Battle Creek is an international city in terms of industry and tourism. Battle Creek is home to the World's Longest Breakfast Table, the Stan Musial Amateur Baseball World Series, the International Festival of Lights and ZooLights Festival, the World Balloon Invitational & Air Show of Battle Creek, and the International Summerfest. Refer to the Events Calendar for names and numbers of each event throughout the year.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|