Warner Barracks has been occupied by American forces since the end of World War II. Prior to WWII, almost every branch of the German Army was stationed at Warner Barracks at some time. After World War II, the headquarters of the US Constabulary was located in Bamberg. The Constabulary was a highly mobile unit made up of the 28th Infantry Regiment and the 1st Infantry Division. The unit was responsible for patrolling the American occupied quarter of Germany. In June 1948, the Soviets imposed the Berlin Blockade changing the United States' role in Germany from occupier to defender. The Constabulary was eventually phased out. The current Warner Barracks complex was appropriated in 1950 by US forces and renamed in honor of CPL Henry Warner. Warner was killed in action in 1944 after his heroic anti-tank actions in Dom Budgenbach, Belgium. In 1991, the Bamberg military community became the 279th Base Support Battalion, under the 99th Area Support Group in Nuernberg, and in 1993, joined the 98th Area Support Group, based in Wuerzburg.
During 2000 the 38th Personnel Services Battalion (PSB) headquarters, stationed in Giebelstadt, moved to Warner Barracks in Bamberg. With 27 military spaces and 3 US civilian positions, the unit provides command and control of personnel and postal units in the 98th and 100th Area Support Groups, an area stretching from Giebelstadt to Grafenwöhr. With personnel services detachments and postal platoons in Kitzingen, Würzburg, Schweinfurt, Ansbach and Vilseck, the units mission includes personnel records maintenance, issuance of ID cards, personnel accountability, postal services and more. From its new, more central location, the 38th PSB is in a better position to service its area of responsibility. In addition to reduced travel times and fuel consumption, the unit expected to reduce its mileage in command and control trips by 4,000 miles a month.
Bamberg is located in the center of Germany, approximately: -30 miles north of Nuernberg -126 miles east of Frankfurt. Warner Barracks is located on the east side of Bamberg. The Bavarian city of Bamberg is situated in Upper Franconia about 30 miles north of Nuernberg and 3 miles south of the junction of the Regnitz and Main rivers. Because Bamberg was built on 7 hills, the residents like to compare it to Rome. Bamberg is one of Germany's most picturesque medieval towns with narrow winding streets and quaint architecture. The Regnitz River divides the city into two parts: "Bishop's Town" located on the west bank and the "Burgher's Town" on the east bank. The oldest sections of the city are found in "Bishop's Town".
Recent archaeological findings revealed that the first settlements date back as far as 1000 BC. Bamberg was first mentioned in 902 in a chronicle written by Regino von Prüm. In 973, Emperor Otto II. gave Bamberg to the Bavarian duke, Heinrich der Zänker. His son, who was later to become Heinrich II. (1002 - 1024), built Bamberg's first cathedral on the site of a former fortress. This cathedral became the centre of the bishopric formed in 1007. For a short period, Henrich II proclaimed Bamberg the capital of the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation.
For many years the city served as a residence for members of the Bavarian Royal Family (the New Residence). Numerous state authorities and military institutions settled and shaped Bamberg's changing character. In 1919 Bamberg was the seat of the Bavarian Government and State Parliament which passed Bavaria's first democratic constitution known as the "Bamberg Constitution". Although the city suffered little damage during the Second World War, its location near the inner German border and the loss of its traditional markets to the East demanded a realignment of its commercial focus.
In 2000 Bamberg's population totalled 69,602 residents. The city is situated 240 metres above sea level; its highest point is marked by the historical castle "Altenburg" at 386 metres. The city covers a total area of 5458 ha, measuring 9.6 km from North to South, 9.7 km from East to West and 11.3 km from North East to South West. Bamberg is Upper Franconia's largest centre of commerce with no fewer than 56 industrial enterprises employing 16 740 staff.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|