Air Force Plant 59
Johnson City, NY
AFP 59 is west of Binghamton, NY, and covers 30 acres and includes over 600,000 square feet of floor space, all government-owned. It is one of the largest wooden structures in the United States. As one of the Air Force's Government-Owned, Contractor-Operated facilities, AFP 59 in the Johnson City, N.Y., area has manufactured aircraft-related products since 1942. Lockheed Martin now operates the facility through a sublease with the Broom County Industrial Development Agency, under a Contract for Deed with the Air Force.
AFP59 was built in 1942 by the Defense Plant Corporation to produce aircraft propellers during World War II. Remington Rand, the first manufacturer to occupy the plant, produced aluminum aircraft propellers from 1942 to 1945. After World War II, the plant was used only as a warehouse and for reserve training. In 1948, the building was occupied by the Aeronautics and Ordnance Systems Division of General Electric (GE) to produce aircraft flight and fire control components. The plant had only a limited work force for the next 3 years, but was fully operational by 1951. For the next 10 years, GE manufactured armament systems and engine controls. After the Korean conflict, manufacturing activity declined. From 1951 to 1958, the plant made the transition to the F-4 program. In 1958, the Air Force planned deactivation of AFP59. However, final disposal of the plant never occurred and GE continued to operate the facility without interruption.
Plant activity peaked in the late 1960's during the Vietnam War. in 1961 the transition to the F-111 began and, in 1970, to the F-15. During the 1970's and 1980's, production changed from manufacturing mechanical systems to producing electronic and computer systems, such as flight controls and internal navigation and guidance systems. As of the mid-1980s the plant produced highly sophisticated avionic and electronic controls in support of the A-10, F-18, F-4, F-5, F-15, F-111, C-5, B-1, and V-22 programs. These systems included fire/flight control systems, displays and simulators, propulsion controls and condition monitors, and spacecraft controls. Most production was on subcontract to McDonnell Douglas, Lockheed, and Rockwell. In 1986, the plant was recommended for disposal.
In 1993, Martin Marietta acquired GE Aerospace and took over operation of AFP59. Lockheed and Martin Marietta merged in 1995 and the plant is currently operated by Lockheed Martin Control Systems, producing highly sophisticated avionics and electronic controls.
Aeronautical Systems Center's Directorate of Engineering's Division of Acquisition Environmental Management, at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, manages the environmental cleanup of AFP 59. The AFP 59 environmental restoration team implemented the final remediation plan for the plant, with the resulting water treatment system becoming fully operational in June 1999.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|