St. Louis Army Ammunition Plant (SLAAP)
St. Louis Ordnance Plant (SLOP)
The St. Louis Army Ammunition Plant (SLAAP) is located in the northwestern section of St. Louis, Missouri, bordered on the west by Goodfellow Boulevard and on the north and east by Interstate Highway 70. The 21.05 acres now comprising the SLAAP were originally part of the St. Louis Ordnance Plant. In 1944, SLAPP was converted from small arms to 105 mm production.
St. Louis Ordnance Plant (SLOP) originally consisted of approximately 327 acres of land located on Goodfellow Avenue in western St. Louis, Missouri. Ammunition was manufactured at these sites in the 1940's, again during the Korean conflict and during the Vietnam Era.
Originally a part of the larger St. Louis Ordnance Plant, in 1944, SLAAP was converted from a .30 caliber small arms munitions plant to a 105mm howitzer shell plant. SLAAP manufactured howitzer shells from 1944 to 1945, during the Korean Conflict, and during the Southeast Asia Crisis. In addition, SLAAP was placed in inactive status at various times in its history.
In 1984, several buildings at SLAAP were renovated to house filing and administrative operations by more than 500 personnel. In 1989, the Department of the Army determined that SLAAP was no longer required to support its munitions mission, and all industrial equipment was removed from the plant. From 1986 to 1990, SLAAP was under control of the US Army Armament Munitions, and Chemical Command (AMCCOM). In 1990, SLAAP ownership and control were placed under the US Army Aviation and Troop Command (ATCOM). Currently, the installation is under the command of US Army Aviation and Missile Command (AMCOM) in Huntsville, Alabama.
SLAAP, which at one time provided approximately 4,700 well-paying jobs, has been largely vacant since the mid-1990s. It has been totally vacant since 1998.
The closure of the 64-acre Army Aviation and Troop Command facility at 4300 Goodfellow Boulevard, ordered in 1997, was symbolically completed June 26, 1998 when General Wilson presided over the lowering and casing of the unit flag. The SLOP site has been broken up into many parcels. The St. Louis Army Ammunition Plant is an active site, while other parts of the original SLOP are either unused or put to other uses. Fort Leonard Wood owns approximately 22 acres of highly contaminated soils and structures in the former mixing house area. Most of the remaining parcels are privately owned.
The SLAAP site, located on a 21-acre lot at 4800 Goodfellow Boulevard, has been largely vacant since the mid-1990s. Preliminary assessments have identified explosive residues as well as heavy metals in a number of buildings. Polychlorinated Biphenyls are also present as a constituent of oils used on site. The site is contaminated with high levels of PCBs, which the Environmental Protection Agency and the International Agency for Research on Cancer have determined are probably carcinogenic to humans. Because the SLAAP site has not been properly disposed of and turned over to local development officials, economic development efforts have been thwarted.
The St. Louis Development Corporation has been extensively engaged in administrative liaison work with the Federal government to develop a land use initiative at the site of the former Army Ammunition Plant at I-70 and Goodfellow.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|