Ravenna Army Ammunition Plant
Ravenna AAP (RVAAP) is a tenant unit of the Ravena Training and Logistics Site (RTLS).
Ravena AAP transferred accountability of 16,164 acres to RTLS on 16 May 1999. It transferred further property on 16 January 2002. Prior to these dates, Ravenna AAP incorporated 1,371 buildings on 21,418 acres near Ravenna, OH. Following the transfer of property to RTLS, RVAAP retained an area of over 1,481 acres and 308 buildings, 297 of which were located within areas suspected or known to be environmentally contaminated. As of early January 2003, plans called for these 297 buildings to be eventually demolished as part of the ongoing RVAAP Installation Restoration Program. The remaining eleven buildings remained in day-to-day use.
Ravenna AAP actually consists of two original sites: the Ravenna Ordnance Plant and the adjacent Portage Ordnance Depot. In 1945, the two combined to form the present-day facility.
Though the official start date was 23 March 1942, Atlas Powder Company was already loading shells and bombs at Ravenna Ordnance Plant by the end of 1941. During World War II, it also produced Amatol and nitrate of ammonia, and it stored ammunition for the government. The plant was noted for its innovative success in improving the manufacturing process for TNT. The plant was placed on standby status in August 1945 and returned to government control in November, but continued limited operations. It stored ammunition and produced fertilizer.
Ravenna Arsenal, Inc., a subsidiary of Firestone, operated the plant from 1951 to 1957. It loaded shell and antitank mines during the Korean conflict. Loading operations were again shut down in 1957, but the runway was used by the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics for airplane experiments. The plant began production again for the Vietnam War.
It was returned to standby status in 1971 but continued to demilitarize ammunition until 1984.
Firestone sold its operation to Physics International Company in 1983; in 1993, Mason & Hangar-Silas Mason Company, Inc. was given the Modified Caretaker Contract.
Ravenna Training and Logistics Site
The Ohio Guard's Ravenna Training and Logistics Site (RTLS) provides training areas and facilities for combat, combat support and combat service support units of the Ohio Army National Guard and all other reserve components. Prior to the transfer of property accountability from RVAAP to RTLS, RTLS was a tenant unit of RVAAP. As of 16 May 1999, it was comprised of 16,164 acres divided into lettered training areas A through H and J, as well as 13,000 acres of land currently under development for additional training areas. As a result of the 16 January 2002 transfer, RTLS' acreage was increased to 19,938.
The 923 acres of training areas A through C consist of a Unit Training Equipment Site (UTES #1), a temporary bivouac area, a Bailey bridge site and Gunnery Table IV (MILES) range, used primarily by M-1 Abrams main battle tanks, as well as a two unit armory and 260-person barracks. Training Area C includes a Simulation Center, containing an M-1 Abrams Full-Integration Simulation Trainer and a Fire Systems Combined Artillery Training Simulator. An M-1 Mechanized Conduct of Fire Trainer is also located within training area C. Training areas D through H consist of 1,421 acres of wooded area available for dismounted training and field bivouac of troops, with a small amount of off-road vehicular maneuver area. Ground was broken for the new UTES # 1 prior to the end of fiscal year 2000. This facility is located south of the Simulation Center.
Ohio Army Guard aviation units use the airstrip in training area G on a weekly basis for day and night helicopter operations, and training area J (licensed to the U.S. Air Force Reserve) for parachuting operations conducted by Company B, 2-19th Special Forces Group.
A 21-mile paved, wheeled-vehicle convoy route, a wheeled-vehicle road ambush site and a five-mile forced march route are also available to the Ohio Guard, with the approval of the Department of the Army representative at RVAAP Additional tracked vehicle training areas opened in 2000, adding 1,000 acres of training land previously unavailable.
Saving more than $3 million in maintenance and other costs in 2000, two groups of warehouses on RVAAP were used for the Controlled Humidity Preservation (CHP) and storage of approximately 15 percent of the wheeled and tracked vehicle stock of the Ohio Army National Guard. Seven other buildings were used for cold storage of vehicles and environmental project support materials, while 137 more buildings were made available for secured cold storage of unit equipment.
RTLS served as the annual training site for the 216th Engineer Battalion this year, with the battalion completing major portions of two major wetland mitigation projects mandated by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Consolidated troop labor from battalion units finished several other small projects at RTLS and worked to receive Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (OEPA) approval to winter over the training site.
During May and June 2000, RTLS supported the U.S. Army Reserve's Operation Golden Cargo, which moved a significant portion of RVAAP's stored munitions westward on the facility, freeing-up additional training land on the east side of the facility. RTLS hosted six weeks of continuous day and night training with various units of the Army's Special Operations Command in June and July. The usage of the facility continues to increase each year; the majority of users are ARNG, USAR and other Department of Defense agencies.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|