Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 367 (HMLA-367)
Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 367 (HMLA-367) was first activated on 1 December 1943 at Quantico, Virginia as Marine Observation Squadron 351 (VMO-351). It was redesignated as Marine Observation Squadron 3 (VMO-3) in January of 1944 and was deployed to Marine Air Group 11 on the island of Espiritu Santo, taking part in the Pacific campaigns on Peleliu and Okinawa with Piper J-3 Cub aircraft. It was then assigned to the 1st Marine Air Wing and took part in the occupation of Northern China from October 1945 through June 1947. The Squadron was deployed twice to Guam before relocating to Cherry Point, North Carolina under the 2nd Marine Air Wing, and being finally deactivated on 20 August 1949.
The unit was reactivated at Camp Pendleton on 1 August 1966 and was deployed to the Republic of Vietnam at Hue, Phu Bai in December 1966. While there, the unit was redesignated as Marine Light Helicopter Squadron 367 (HMLA-367) in March of 1969. Its assets consisted mainly of Bell UH-1E Huey Gunships armed with rockets, side mounted machine guns, and the TAT-101 machine gun turret. Growing to a total number of 25 aircraft, HMLA-367 was used in support of the 1st and 3rd Marine Divisions, the United States Army, and the Army of the Republic of Vietnam. Reassigned in October 1969 to Marine Air Group 16 (Forward), HML-367 remained in Vietnam. HML-367's fleet of UH-1E Hueys was soon thereafter replaced with 24 new AH-1G Cobras.
Its combat tour in Vietnam completed in June of 1971 and HMLA-367 relocated at MCAS Futenma, Okinawa, Japan as part of Marine Aircraft Group 36. There, the Squadron began peacetime operations using once again with the UH-1E aircraft.
HML-367(-)(+) deployed in April of 1975 aboard the USS Midway, the USS Hancock, and to NAS Cubi Point in support of Operations Eagle Pull, Talon Vise, and Frequent Wind with a complement of 9 UH-1Es and 12 CH-46s. During the months of April and May 1975, HMLA-367 participated in the evacuation of Vietnamese and Cambodian refugees from the mainland before relocating, in November 1975, to MCALF Hamby. It was while stationed there that the Squadron began receiving, in January of 1976, the first of 16 UH-1N's in replacement of the Squadron UH-1Es. The the last UH-1N was received on 8 February 1976.
On 1 April 1977, a detachment of 6 AH-1Js and 79 officers and men were added to the Squadron to begin unit rotation concept for the Cobra gunships.
HML-367 was subsequently reassigned in November 1979 to Marine Aircraft Group 39, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, at Camp Pendleton. Though unit strength had decreased as a result, it was by mid-1981 back up to 165 men and 16 aircrafts.
As an element of MAG-39, HMLA-367 spent 6 of each 18 months period in Okinawa in rotation with 3 other squadrons, HMLAs 167, 169, and 369. There, HMLA-367 often deployed to Cubi Point in the Philippines, Atsugi, Japan, and Camp Butler, Korea, for training and to support major exercises. When back home, at Camp Pendleton, the Squadron would take part in a number of major exercises and training deployments at Twenty-nine Palms, Yuma, and Nellis Air Force Base.
HMLA-367 wrapped up their final week of Exercise Enhanced Mojave Viper on 26 August 2009, as they prepared to take the Bell UH-1Y to the fight. Scarface would be the first squadron to utilize the UH-1Y while conducting combat operations in support of the ground combat element and other coalition forces in Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan. HMLA-367 had also taken delivery of AH-1Zs. The AH-1Z and UH-1Y replaced the Squadron's previous AH-1W and UH-1N aircraft.
Summer of 2012 marked the beginning of the relocation of HMLA-367 from MAG-39 at Camp Pendleton to MAG-24 at Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii, an element of the 1st Marine Aircraft Wing.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|