60th Air Mobility Wing [60th AMW]
The 60th Air Mobility Wing is the largest wing in Air Mobility Command. The wing operates and maintains 37 C-5 and 27 KC-10 aircraft through six operations and eight logistics squadrons supporting global engagement of troops, supplies, and equipment. As of mid-1995, the 60th AMW also comprised the 19th and 20th Airlift Squadrons and 33 C-141B Starlifters. The 19th AS was inactivated at the end of of FY '96 and the 20th AS, in January 1998. With those inactivations, the last C-141B aircraft were removed from the 60th AMW's inventory.
The 60th AMW encompasses a five-squadron support group and a six-squadron medical group serving over 23,000 personnel from assigned units and 36 tenant units, including Headquarters, Fifteenth Air Force. As host unit for Travis Air Force Base, the 60 AMW controls more than two billion dollars worth of Air Force resources, including aircraft and support facilities, on more than 6,000 acres of land. The 60th AMW is one of only two operational active duty Air Force wings operating the C-5 Galaxy.
America began air strikes against the Taliban and al Qaeda forces 07 October 2001, but the groundwork for success was laid in the weeks leading up to those attacks. Under Operation Enduring Freedom, many Travis units deployed 10 percent or more of their people by early October, a rapid mobilization requiring a tremendous effort from the personnel, supply, medical, security forces, finance, legal and chapel specialists charged with ensuring airmen were ready, trained and equipped to deploy. The military build-up at bare base locations on the other side of the globe put the strategic airlift capabilities of the Travis C-5 fleet to the test. In support of one forward operating location alone, Travis C-5s helped deliver more than 8 million tons of cargo and 2,500 passengers in the months of September and October.
The initial deployment of B-1s and B-52s put 'iron on the ramp,' but these aircraft flew no combat missions for the first two weeks of their arrival. When the bombers did launch Oct. 7, they reached their distant targets in Afghanistan only with the help of aerial refueling from Travis KC-10s of the 60th Air Expeditionary Group. Base tankers have kept up support of the air campaign from two major locations, offloading more than 120 million pounds of fuel to combat aircraft during the height of military operations. Travis KC-10s flew a year's worth of flying hours in less than six months since Sept. 11. Over 90 percent of these flying hours were flown in combat or in combat support.
In February 2002 C-17 Globemaster IIIs joined the 60th Air Expeditionary Group to carry warfighters and equipment into Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. When U.S. Central Command officials decided to put ground troops in Afghanistan, they called on the 101st Airborne Division from Fort Campbell, Ky. To get the soldiers to the fight, Air Mobility Command used C-17s and C-5 Galaxy airlifters to move the Army's air assault division into Afghanistan.
Like most present day wings, the 60 AMW maintains an important link to a similarly numbered group prior to 1948. The 60 AMW, whenever it serves on active status, carries with it the history and honors of the 60th Troop Carrier Group--now known as the 60th Operations Group. (Should the 60 OG serve under another wing, the group maintains its history and honors--not the 60 AMW.)
Constituted on 20 November 1940 as the 60th Transport Group, the unit activated at Olmsted Field, Pennsylvania, on 1 December 1940, flying the C-47 aircraft. After a brief stay at Westover Field, Massachusetts (May 1941-June 1942), the 60th moved to Chelveston, England, and then to Aldermaston, England, in August 1942. The group was redesignated as the 60th Troop Carrier Group on 1 July 1942. The units next moves to Tafaraoui, Algeria, and was assigned to Twelfth Air Force. During the war in Europe, the 60 TCG also served from bases in Tunisia, Sicily, and Italy before moving to Waller Field, Trinidad, in June 1945. During World War II, the group participated in the battle for Tunisia; towed gliders and dropped paratroops behind enemy lines when the Allies invaded Sicily; and dropped paratroops at Megava during the airborne invasion of Greece in October 1944. When not engaged in airborne operations, the group transported troops and supplies and evacuated wounded personnel. In October 1943, for instance, the 60th dropped supplies to men who had escaped from prisoner-of-war camps.
For its performance in the Mediterranean Theater of Operations from 28 March to 15 September 1944, the 60 TCG received the Distinguished Unit Citation. While attempting to organize effective fighting forces in Yugoslavia, Greece, and Albania, the Allies tasked the 60th for an immediate, substantial, and steady flow of desperately needed supplies. Despite poor weather, terrain, enemy night fighters, anti-aircraft fire, and hostile ground action, the 60th flew nearly 3,000 missions, including 600 hazardous landings, delivered more than 7,000 tons of supplies and equipment, and evacuated thousands of military and civilian personnel. The group lost 10 aircraft and 34 members of the 60th were either killed or listed as missing.
In June 1945, the 60 TCG moved to Trinidad and came under the command of the Air Transport Command. The group inactivated on 31 July 1945. After just 15 months on the inactive list, the 60th activated again on 30 September 1946, this time at Munich, Germany. Shortly after moving to Kaufbeuren Air Base, Germany, on 14 May 1948, the 60 TCG and its three squadrons--the 10th, 11th, and 12th Troop Carriers Squadrons--began supporting the Berlin Airlift. From 26 June 1948 to 30 September 1949, the C-47 and C-54-equipped squadrons flew from both Kaufbeuren AB and Wiesbaden AB, Germany, and contributed to the U.S. total of nearly 1.8 million tons of supplies delivered on 189,963 flights.
During the Berlin Airlift, the 60th Troop Carrier Wing, Medium, activated at Kaufbeuren AB on 1 July 1948. At that time the 60 TCG became a subordinate unit assigned to the new wing.
The present-day 60th Air Mobility Wing was first activated on 1 July 1948, the 60th Troop Carrier Wing, Medium, quickly became involved with Operation Vittles--the Berlin Airlift. Based at Kaufbeuren Air Base, West Germany, the newly created unit joined numerous other Allied units at Rhein-Main AB, West Germany, and took part in the Berlin airlift. Initially flying the C-47, the 60 TCW converted to the C-54 and Headquarters USAF in Europe redesignated the unit as the 60 TCW, Heavy, on 5 November 1948. Through its subordinate operations group--the 60th Troop Carrier Group, Heavy--the 60 TCW managed three flying squadrons: the 10th, 11th, and 12th Troop Carrier Squadrons.
On 20 January 1949, the wing's headquarters element moved to Fassberg Royal Air Force Station, West Germany, and fell under operational control of the 1st Airlift Task Force. With its own aircraft and support units detached to other locations, the 60 TCW gained operational control of the 313 TCG, the 513th Air Base Group, the 513th Maintenance and Supply Group, and the 513th Medical Group. Aircraft assigned to the wing primarily carried coal into West Berlin. When the Berlin Airlift ended on 26 September 1949, the 60 TCW began moving without its personnel and equipment to Wiesbaden AB, West Germany, where it assumed the resources of the inactivated 7150th Air Force Composite Wing. The 60th became operational at Wiesbaden on 1 October 1949, and USAFE redesignated the wing as the 60 TCW, Medium, on 16 November 1949. On 21 January 1951, Twelfth Air Force became the 60 TCW's new higher headquarters. At this time, the wing had no tactical mission.
On 2 June 1951, the wing replaced the 61 TCW at Rhein-Main AB, where the 60 TCG had been stationed on detached service. At this time, the 60 TCW resumed a tactical role and assumed responsibility for controlling all U.S. tactical airlift resources in Europe. The 60 TCW provided logistic airlift services to U.S. and Allied forces in Europe while maintaining host unit responsibilities at Rhein-Main. Operating the C-82, C-119, and C-47 aircraft, the wing participated in countless exercises and provided air transportability training to U.S. Army units.
With its new assignment to the 322nd Air Division [Combat Cargo] on 1 August 1955, the wing moved to Dreux AB, France; a move completed by 14 October. Later that month, the 62 TCS--a Tactical Air Command rotational unit from Sewart AFB, Tennessee--arrived and entered attached status with the 60 TCW. From 22 March to 2 June 1956, the 309 TCG, Assault, (Fixed Wing), deployed to Dreux from Ardmore AFB, Oklahoma. Initially attached to the 60 TCW for logistic support and operational control, the 309th was officially assigned to the wing on 8 August 1956. The 309 TCG introduced the C-123 aircraft to the European theater.
In a major reorganization, the 322 AD reduced the headquarters elements of the 60 TCG, 309 TCG, and the 60 M & S Group to one officer and one airmen each on 15 November 1956. In conjunction with this, the 60 TCW's chief of operations gained control of the flying squadrons. All three groups inactivated on 12 March 1957. In mid-1958, the 376, 377, and 378 TCSs--formerly assigned to the 309 TCG--transitioned from the C-123 to the C-119 aircraft. The 60 TCW inactivated on 25 September 1958, ending its first period of service. Except for the 10, 11, and 12 TCSs (which now reported directly to the 322 AD), all units assigned to the 60 TCW also inactivated.
Headquarters MAC redesignated the 60 TCW as the 60th Military Airlift Wing and activated the unit on 27 December 1965. The 60th organized on 8 January 1966, and assumed the mission, personnel, and equipment of the 1501st Air Transport Wing at Travis AFB and became the new host unit at Travis. The newly activated Twenty-Second Air Force (the successor to the Western Transport Air Force of MATS) at Travis became the new parent organization for the 60 MAW.
Flying the C-124 "Globemaster," the C-130 "Hercules," the C-141A "Starlifter," and the C-133 "Cargomaster," the 60 MAW entered service whilte the U.S. was beginning a major buildup of its military forces in Southeast Asia. The 60 MAW quickly established a strategic aerial pipeline to the region. Support of U.S. forces in Vietnam earned the 60 MAW three Air Force Outstanding Unit Awards. In 1966, the wing became the first recipient of the Air Force Logistic Systems Award. Assigned to the wing on 8 January 1966, the C-141-equipped 75th Miltary Airlift Squadron transitioned to the C-5, becoming MAC's first operational squadron to fly the new aircraft. The wing added a second C-5 squadron when the 22 MAS activated at Travis AFB on 6 February 1972 and began flying the "Galaxy".
In the Spring of 1973, the 60 MAW became a major participant in Operation Homecoming, the repatriation of American prisoners of war from North Vietnam. As C-141s arrived carrying former POWs, the David Grant USAF Medical Center at Travis became a major processing facility for the returnees. Homecoming marked the official termination of U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War.
During October-November 1973, the 60 MAW supported Operation Nickel Grass--the support of Israel during the Yom Kippur War in the Middle East. As MAC's prime representative in this operation, the 60th flew 36 C-5 and C-141 missions and delivered over 22,000 tons of supplies and equipment.
With the Communist takeover of Cambodia and South Vietnam imminent, MAC diverted a C-5, flown by the 22 MAS, from Clark AB in the Philippines to Tan Son Nhut AB near Saigon to fly the first Operation Babylift mission. Both Babylift and Operation New Life missions transported thousands of refugees to the United States during April-May 1975. By the end of Babylift MAC carriers airlifted 1,794 Southeast Asian orphans to their new American families. MAC C-141s carried 949 of those babies.
Since October 1974, the 60th has supported Operation Deep Freeze, the annual resupply of scientific research teams in the Antarctic. Flying from Christchurch, New Zealand, the wing has logged a near perfect record for reliability. On 4 October 1989, a 60 MAW C-5 became the first "Galaxy" to land on the Antarctic continent. For airlift achievements during the 1970s, the wing earned two more AFOUAs.
To upgrade cargo carrying capacity, MAC initiated a major upgrade program for its C-141A fleet beginning in 1979. The project added an inflight refueling system and 23 feet in length to the fuselage. The "stretched" "Starlifter" was designated the C-141B. The 60th sent its first C-141A to the Lockheed-Georgia Company on 13 August 1979. The wing received its last "B" model on 10 May 1982.
Supporting U.S. Naval forces in the Indian Ocean and Arabia Gulf, the wing flies frequent missions to Diego Garcia and other installations in the region. When underwater mines--suspected to have been placed by Iran--threatened the Red Sea shipping lanes in 1984, the 60 MAW airlifted minesweeping helicopters from Naval Air Station Norfolk, Virginia, to Rota, Spain, where the Navy assembled and carried them into action via surface vessel. In 1987, a similar situation in the Arabian Gulf resulted in the deployment of the same helicopter minesweepers.
Throughout the 1980s and into the 1990s, the wing supported several important troop deployments to Central America. Operation Urgent Fury in 1983 in Grenada; Operation Golden Pheasant in 1988 to counter Nicaraguan incursions into Honduras; Operation Nimrod Dancer in May 1989 to show U.S. opposition to Panamanian dictator Manuel Noriega; and Operation Just Cause in December 1989 and January 1990, to topple from power and arrest Noriega. For its participation in Just Cause, the 60th earned another AFOUA. The 60th played a vital airlift role throughout the course of Operations Desert Shield/Storm, by flying 1,280 C-5 and 954 C-141 missions from Travis AFB.
With the restructuring of the Air Force in 1991-1992, MAC became the Air Mobility Command and absorbed the tanker airlift resources of the former Strategic Air Command. As the "objective wing" became the hallmark of the new Air Force, AMC redesignated the 60 MAW as the 60th Airlift Wing on 1 November 1991. Members of the 60th have participated in countless humanitarian airlift missions over the years. When earthquakes devastated Mexico City in 1985, a 60 MAW C-5 was one of MAC's first aircraft to deliver relief equipment. In December 1988 and early 1989, personnel assigned to the 60th Aerial Port Squadron helped load Soviet IL-62 aircraft with medical supplies and relief equipment for shipment to earthquake victims in Armenia. In 1989, the wing carried relief supplies to Charleston, South Carolina and the U.S. Virgin Islands to assist victims of Hurricane Hugo. Later that year, crews also flew relief equipment and personnel to San Francisco's south bay are to assist victims of the 13 October Loma Prieta earthquake. During June and July 1991, repeated eruptions of Mt. Pinatubo in the Philippines, buried Clark AB with tons of volcanic ash, thus forcing an emergency evacuation of U.S. military dependents and non-essential military personnel. The 60 MAW played a key role in Operation Fiery Vigil.
By September of 1992, the wing simultaneously supported eight humanitarian operations. These included Provide Comfort; Provide Hope; Provide Promise in Sarajevo, Bosnia; Provide Relief in Somalia; and Phoenix UFFO in support of Haitian refugees awaiting transport to their homeland from a camp at Guantanamo Naval Base, Cuba. Operations also included relief missions to victims of three major storms: Hurricane Andrew in Florida; Hurricane Iniki in Hawaii; and Typhoon Omar on Guam. Beginning in May 1994, the 60 AW joined an AMC rotation of C-141 squadrons to Rhein-Main AB, Germany, to assist more directly in Provide Promise.
Operation Restore Hope began on 3 December 1992 when a 60 AW C-5 flew additional crews and airlift control personnel to March AFB, California. Restore Hope continued into the early months of 1994. For its service during Desert Shield, Desert Storm, and its heavy humanitarian schedule of 1991 and 1992, the 60 AW received yet another AFOUA.
Force restructuring continued during late 1993 and into 1994. As a result of this, the Air Force moved or inactivated several flying units throughout the service on 1 October 1993, including three of the 60 AW's squadrons. The 7th and 75th Airlift Squadrons transferred to other locations, while the 86 AS inactivated. In their place, the wing received the 19, 20, and 21 Airlift Squadrons.
When civil war broke out in Rwanda in the Spring of 1994, the 60 AW responded with troops and airlift support. Using Entebbe, Uganda as their hub of operations, Travis AFB airlifters joined other AMC units as part of Operation Support Hope. The joint American and United Nations effort eventually moved nearly 25,000 tons of relief equipment and supplies into the Central African region.
Mission changes continued within the wing during the last half of 1994. On 1 September 1994, the wing received its first KC-10 squadron, when the 9th Air Refueling Squadron transferred from March AFB, thus giving the wing five operational squadrons. A month later, the 60th Medical Group activated four new squadrons: the 60th Aerospace Medicine Squadron, the 60th Dental Squadron, the 60th Medical Ops Squadron, and the 60th Medical Support Squadron. With its combined mission of airlift and tanker operations, AMC redesignated the 60 AW as the 60th Air Mobility Wing on 1 October 1994.
Before the close of 1994, wing personnel and aircraft responded to two other crisis locations. In an effort to restore the democratically elected leadership to the Caribbean nation of Haiti, the 60 AMW flew some of the first missions into Haiti, carrying combat troops and equipment. While assisting with the build-up during Operation Phoenix Shark, the wing also received taskings to move troops and equipment into Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and other Middle Eastern nations in response to an apparent offensive military move by Iraq. Operation Phoenix Jackal provided the needed deterrent to turn Saddam Hussein's attention away from the Kuwaiti border.
A full range of activities during 1995 kept every facet of the 60 AMW busy. From February until early August, nearly 150 members of the 60 MDG operated the UN hospital in Zagreb, Croatia. Twenty members of the 60 SVS deployed to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in March and provided support to all five American services and to refugees from Cuba and Haiti. During its three-month tour of duty, the 60 SVS team served a daily average of 3,500 meals while working 12-hour shifts, six days a week. In response to a terrorist bombing of the Alfred Murrow Federal Building in Oklahoma City, a C-141 aircraft transported a 63-member team from the Sacramento Urban Search and Rescue Unit, five dogs, and 16.5 tons of equipment to the capital of Oklahoma.
In June 1995, a KC-10 and crew from Travis AFB assisted in the around-the-world flight by two B-1 "Lancers" from the 7th Bomb Wing, Dyess AFB, Texas. The Travis AFB tanker provided aerial refueling during the fourth track of the trip--east of Singapore, Thailand. The 36-hour, 13-minute Coronet Bat mission set several flight records, including fastest time around the world non-stop.
During the last two weeks in July 1995, the 60 AMW participated in the first-ever joint Operational Readiness Inspection between the Air Mobility Command and the Air Combat Command. For its efforts, the 60th earned an overall "Outstanding" rating. The wing also earned its eighth AFOUA for the period of 1 November 1993 to 31 July 1995.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|