106th Air Refueling Squadron [106th ARS]
In September 1994, the 117th Air Refueling Wing and 106th Air Refueling Squadron was formed and equipped with KC-135 tanker aircraft.
With its roots in the formation of the Birmingham Flying Club, the unit was first federally recognized as the 135th Observation Squadron, Alabama Air National Guard. Renamed the 106th Observation Squadron in 1928, the unit flew and surveyed airmail routes in Alabama. In 1938, the unit moved to Birmingham International Airport. Called to active duty in 1940, the unit designation was changed to 106th Bombardment Squadron and was involved in the Second World War until its end. In 1951, the squadron was again called to active duty for 21 months during the Korean conflict. The unit was reverted to ANG status and became part of the 117 th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing. The 117th was called to support the mission during the Berlin crisis in 1961.
In 1990 the unit was deployed to the Middle East in support of both Desert Shield and Desert Storm. Flying RF-4C aircraft, the 117 th provided long-range photo reconnaissance along the Kuwait-Iraq border. The 117 th returned to Birmingham after successfully completing the mission in December 1990.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|