4th Squadron, 10th Cavalry Regiment
D Troop, 10th Cavalry Regiment
The mission of the 4th Squadron, 10th Cavalry Regiment, "Blackjack," is to conduct partnership and counterinsurgency operations to secure the population, increase economic opportunity, and improve local governance and essential services Initial Operational Training transition, and tactical overwatch for the assigned battlespace.
Its mission previously, as D Troop, 10th Cavalry Regiment, a brigade reconnaissance troop, was to provide intelligence, reconnaissance, and mechanized warfare support to the 3rd Brigade Commander and fill the role as the Brigade Cavalry Troop. D Troop used the call sign "Blackjack" in honor of its commander during the Spanish-American War and had the mission of conducting reconnaissance, surveillance and security operations in support of the Sledgehammer Brigade. The headquarters and 2 platoons were stationed at Fort Benning, Georgia.
Following the end of the Civil War, the United States began its great expansion westward. On 28 June 1866, Congress authorized the creation of 6 regiments of "Negro" troops, 2 cavalry and 4 infantry, to protect the settlers and aid in the opening of the West. The 10th Cavalry Regiment, activated at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas on 28 July 1866 under the command of Colonel Benjamin H. Grierson. The Regiment was composed of Negro volunteers, freed slaves and some Civil War veterans. D Troop was constituted as Company D, 10th Cavalry and organized on 1 June 1867. Cavalry units were not designated as troops until 1883.
In July 1867, the Troop moved to Fort Riley, Kansas, to take up its first duty assignment patrolling the Kansas and Pacific Railroad. Before the year ended, the entire Regiment joined General Phil Sheridan to ride against Black Kettle's Band of Cheyenne. Cited for gallantry by General Sheridan, the Regiment moved south to the Oklahoma territory building what is now known as Fort Sill. While in Oklahoma, the troopers fought the Comanche and earned from them the name of "Buffalo Soldiers." This term of honor lived on as the main symbol of the Regiment. By 1874, the Comanche were defeated and the "Buffalo Soldiers" moved west to Texas to fight the Apaches. In 1880, the 10th Cavalry chased Chief Victorio and his band into Mexico and defeated him. In 1885, the Regiment fought Geronimo and his renegades for 2 years before returning to garrison duty along with the Regiment.
In 1898, the Spanish-American war began and D Troop was sent along with the Regiment to the shores of Cuba. They fought at Las Guasimas, Santiago and charged San Juan Hill alongside the "Rough Riders" of Teddy Roosevelt. The Commander of D Troop, Lieutenant John J. "Blackjack" Pershing, received the Silver Star for his bravery during this campaign. After the Spanish-American War, the Regiment served in Cuba and occupation duty in the Philippines. In 1913, the Troop returned to the southwest along with the Regiment to Fort Huachuca, Arizona, patrolling the Mexican border. There it joined the expedition into Mexico to subdue Pancho Villa in 1916. The Troop was demobilized on 1 September 1921.
In October 1950, the Regiment was reactivated as the 510th Tank Battalion and stationed in Germany where it stayed until 1958 when it was redesignated as the 10th Cavalry. On 25 June 1958, D Troop was reconstituted in the Regular Army and redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 4th Reconnaissance Squadron, 10th Cavalry. On 1 September 1963, the unit was redesignated as Troop D, 10th Cavalry and assigned to Fort Knox, Kentucky, and on 15 April 1968 the Troop became part of the 194th Armored Brigade.
In October 1999, the 3rd Infantry Division (Mechanized) began its transition to Limited Conversion Division XXI (LCD XXI). Under this force structure, mechanized brigades recieved organic cavalry organizations. On 16 June 2000, D Troop, 10th Cavalry Regiment was reactivated and assigned to the 3rd Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division (Mechanized), at Fort Benning, Georgia.
In March 2003 the 3rd Brigade participated along with the rest of the 3rd Infantry Division (Mechanized) in the initial operations against Iraq as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom. The 3rd Infantry Division returned to Georgia in late 2003. In mid-2004 it began the transformation to the US Army's new modular force structure, which saw D Troop, 10th Cavalry inactivated.
In mid-2004 the 3rd Infantry Division (Mechanized) began transformation to the US Army's new modular force structure. A part of this transformation entailed the activation of full Cavalry Squadrons as part of each of the Division's reorganized modular Brigades. Previous Brigade Cavalry Troops and the Divisional Cavalry Squadron were inactivated. This included D Troop, 10th Cavalry Regiment, the 3rd Brigade's Cavalry Troop.
In late 2007, D Troop, 10th Cavalry was reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 4th Squadron, 10th Cavalry, with its organic elements concurrently constituted and activated. 2nd Squadron, 9th Cavalry was concurrently inactivated and its personnel reflagged as 4th Squadron, 10th Cavalry. 4-10th Cavalry took up the role as the organic cavalry squadron for 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division at Fort Carson, Colorado.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|