3rd Brigade, 87th Division (Training Support)
As part of the transformation of First US Army and the structure of US Army training units beginning in 2006, the subordinate brigades of the 87th Division were subsequently inactivated.
The 2nd Brigade, 87th Division (Training Support) provided training assistance, support, and evaluation to priority Reserve Component units and all other units within capabilities. It provided command and control of subordinate units, and synchronizes training support within area of responsibility in order to enhance individual and unit readiness to meet directed mobilization and/or wartime requirements. On order, the Brigade could also activate or augment existing Mobilization Assistance Teams to assist installation commanders in post-mobilization training and validation of mobilized units for deployment.
The 3rd Brigade, 87th Division (Training Support) was first constituted on 5 August 1917 in the National Army as the 312th Engineers and assigned to the 87th Division. The unit was organized in August 1917 at Camp Pike, Arkansas. After deploying as part of the 87th Division to Europe to serve in the Great War, the unit was demobilized on 28 June 1919 at Camp Dix, New Jersey.
The unit was reconstituted on 11 September 1929 in the Organized Reserves and concurrently consolidated with the 312th Engineers (first organized in January 1922 in the Organized Reserves with Headquarters at Meridian, Mississippi). The consolidated unit was designated as the 312th Engineers, an element of the 87th Division. The unit was reorganized and redesignated (less 2nd Battalion) on 30 January 1942 as the 312th Engineer Battalion, an element of the 87th Division (later redesignated as the 87th Infantry Division). The 2nd Battalion, 312th Engineers thereafter had a separate lineage. The 312th Engineer Battalion was ordered into active military service on 15 December 1942 and reorganized at Camp McCain, Mississippi. It was concurrently redesignated as the 312th Engineer Combat Battalion. After serving with the 87th Infantry Division in the European Theater of Operations during World War II, the unit was inactivated on 21 September 1945 at Fort Benning, Georgia.
The unit was reactivated on 7 June 1947 at Birmingham, Alabama. An element of the Organized Reserves, the Division remained a part of this organization was it was redesignated on 25 March 1948 as the Organized Reserve Corps, which was in turn redesignated on 9 July 1952 as the Army Reserve. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 30 April 1953 as the 312th Engineer Battalion and was inactivated on 30 April 1954 at Birmingham, Alabama.
Headquarters, 312th Engineer Battalion was consolidated on 17 October 1999 with Headquarters, 3rd Brigade, 87th Division (Exercise) (first activated on 1 October 1993 at Jackson, Mississippi; location changed on 1 April 1997 to Camp Shelby, Mississippi). The consolidated unit was reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters, 3rd Brigade, 87th Division (Training Support) and allotted to the Regular Army at Camp Shelby, Mississippi. The remainder of 312th Engineer Battalion was concurrently disbanded. The 177th Armor Brigade (Training Support) was concurrently inactivated and reflagged as 3rd Brigade, 87th Division (Training Support). The reorganization created a unique unit consisting of active-component, National Guard, civilian, and drilling US Army reservists.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|