728th Military Police Battalion
In 2006, the 728th Military Police Battalion relocated to Hawaii with the rest of the 8th Military Police Brigade, as part of a realignment of US forces in the Pacific region. Prior to that, the unit's mission, as part of Eighth US Army (EUSA), had been to, on order, conduct miltary police operations, within assigned area of operation, in order to protect, and allow for the freedom of movement of, US assets critical to EUSA and Combined Forces Command (CFC) operations. It provided law enforcement and community assistance to the soldiers, families, and visitors to Area IV.
The 728th Military Police Battalion was first constituted on 10 January 1942 in the Army of the United States as the 728th Military Police Battalion. It was activated on 19 January 1942, at Fort Custer, Michigan. The primary mission of the Battalion was originally the training of troops for combat duty and maintaining "alert status" for the protection of war production industries in Detroit, Michigan. During the 1943 race riots that plagued the Detroit community, the Battalion provided perimeter security and crowd control functions. The success of that effort was symbolized in the unit crest with a broken red line between the insignia of the anvil and the Korean Liberty Bell. The red line represented the Rouge River in Detroit, which was said to have "run red with blood" during the turbulent period.
On 28 October 1946, after the cessation of World War II hostilities, the Battalion was awarded the Outstanding Meritorious Service Plaque for its valiant performance of duty during the period 1942 through 1945. From 1946, until August 1950, the 728th Military Police Battalion remained on US soil, where its mission was one of domestic security in a number of different areas. It was allotted on 29 March 1949 to the Regular Army.
The Battalion was then alerted for overseas movement and was moved to Yokahama, Japan. Following the North Korean invasion of South Korea, the 728th Military Police Battalion was transferred and reassembled in Pusan, South Korea. The new mission was operation and control of traffic on the Green Diamond-Main Supply Route (MSR). For the next 8 months, many members of the unit took an active part in combat operations in surpressing guerrilla activities and responding to ever changing tactical situations. After the MacArthur Invasion, the Battalion Headquarters was moved to Ichon and later, as security increased, found its way to Seoul. In 1951, the Battalion assisted in traffic control and various other law enforcement duties. Until the final signing of the Korean Truce Agreement in 1953, the unit was a major contributor to the successful Korean War effort.
After the end of Korean War hostilities, the mission of the Battalion became providing military police support to the US installations around the Republic of Korea (ROK) and, when necessary, keeping peace on the peninsula. 728th Military Police Battalion missions in Korea included providing security for the return of captured crewmen of the USS Pueblo in 1968, security in support of the 1988 Olympics in Seoul, and convoy security for the fielding of Patriot Missles during the 1994 Nuclear Proliferation Crisis in North Korea. During this period, Companies A, B, and C were inactivated on 1 October 1976 in Korea. The unit replaced these with numbered military police companies.
As of 2005, The 728th Military Police Battalion, then headquarters at Camp Walker in the ROK, consisted of the Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 3 line companies, and 5 Military Working Dog Detachments. Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 728th Military Police Battalion was headquartered at Camp Walker in Taegu. The HHD provides administative and logistical support for the Battalion Staff and the line companies. The 57th Military Police Company was headquartered on Camp Carroll in Waegwan. The 57th was responsible for law enforcement and area security in the Northern sector of the Battalion's area of operations. The 3rd Military Working Dog Detachment (Narcotics) and the 904th Military Working Dog Detachment (Explosives) were aligned under the Company and maintained kennels on Camp Carroll. The 188th Military Police Company was headquartered on Camp Walker in Taegu. The 188th was responsible for law enforcement and area security in the Southwest sector of the Battalion's area of operations. The 903rd Military Working Dog Detachment (Explosives) was aligned under the 188th Military Police Company and shared kennel facilities with the 904th Military Working Dog Detachment at Camp Carroll. The 552nd Military Police Company was headquartered on Camp Hialeah in Pusan. The Company was responsible for law enforcement and area security in the Southeast sector of the Battalion's area of operations. The 2nd Military Working Dog Detachment (Narcotics) and the 905th Military Working Dog Detachment (Explosives) were aligned under the Company and maintained kennels at the Pusan Storage Facility.
In September 2006, the 728th Military Police Battalion relocated from Korea to Hawaii and reestablished its headquarters on Schofield Barracks, Hawaii. The Battalion provided command and control of the 57th Military Police Company, the 58th Military Police Company, the 552nd Military Police Company, the 13th Military Police Detachment, and the 39th Military Police Detachment. Later the 558th Military Police Company was added to the Battalion.
On 14 November 2007, the Battalion deployed to Tikrit, Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and redeployed to Schofield Barracks, Hawaii on 26 January 2009.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|