4th Battalion, 1st Field Artillery Regiment
In March 2008, the 4th Battalion, 1st Field Artillery Regiment was inactivated along with the rest of the 3rd Brigade, 1st Armored Division. The 3rd Brigade, 1st Armored Division was reflagged as the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division. The 3rd Brigade, 1st Armored Division was subsequently reorganized and redesignated as the 3rd Brigade Combat Team and reactivated at Fort Bliss, Texas. The 4th Battalion, 1st Field Artillery Regiment was subsequently reactivated as part of the reorganized brigade in July 2009.
Prior to its reorganization under the US Army's modular force structure, the mission of the 4th Battalion, 1st Field Artillery was to deploys, with or without equipment, build combat power, conduct military operations in support of the 3rd Brigade Combat Team (not to be confused with the modular brigade combat team), 1st Armored Division or other headquarters and redeploys.
The 4th Battalion, 1st Field Artillery Regiment was constituted in 1792 in the Regular Army near Fort Wayne, Indiana, as Captain Moses Porter's Company of Artillery of the 3rd Sublegion, Legion of the United States. The unit helped maintain the nation's growing western frontier under the same assignment until 1812, when it was redesignated as Captain Nathaniel Leonard's Company, 1st Regiment of Artillery.
Captain Leonard's artillery company fought its first action against the British in Canada during the War of 1812. After the war, the unit underwent several redesignations until, on 1 June 1821, it became known as Company E, 1st Regiment of Artillery. The unit moved to the southern United States, to be stationed in Florida, and saw action during the Indian Campaigns at Miami and Pine Ridge.
In 1846, Company E, 1st Regiment of Artillery fought with General Zachary Taylor during the Mexican War, during which the artillery often proved to be the decisive factor at places such as Palo Alto, Resaca de la Palma, and Monterey.
Company E, 1st Regiment of Artillery was stationed at Fort Sumter, South Carolina, in January 1861. On the morning of 12 April 1861, the Company served in its first action of what would become the Civil War when it defended the fort against secessionist gunfire until the garrison was forced to withdraw on 13 April 1861. From Fort Sumter, E Company moved to Fort Hamilton, New York and, subsequently, to Chambersburg, Pennsylvania on 3 June 1861, where it was assigned to Patterson's Army. The Company served in the defense of Washington, DC through the following spring. In March 1862, the Company was again reassigned, this time to Hooker's Division, Army of the Potomac. Shortly thereafter, and over the next 3 years, E Company fought numerous actions, participation in virtually every major conflict of the Civil War: the Peninsula Campaign, Manassas, Antietam, Fredricksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, the Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Cold Harbor, and Petersburg. The 1st Regiment of Artillery fought and protected the force valiantly, with E Company participating in the preponderance of the fighting, losing a total of 197 officers and soldiers over the 4 years of conflict.
Company E, 1st Regiment of Artillery experienced several reorganization and redesignation periods during the years following its participation in the Spanish-American War and Philippine Insurrection. By 1 October 1940, it had come to be known as Battery A, 1st Field Artillery Battalion.
Battery A, 1st Field Artillery Battalion was assigned in support of the 6th Infantry Division, and deployed to the Pacific theater during World War II. The Battery distinguished itself in action in New Guinea and Luzon. It earned battle streamers, with arrowheads for participation in the initial assaults, for both campaigns. The unit was also awarded the Philippine Presidential Unit Citation, for the period dated 17 October 1944 to 4 July 1945.
After World War II, the unit moved back to the continental United States from Korea and experienced another wave of redesignations, inactivations, and reactivations, culminating in its designation as the 4th Battalion, 1st Field Artillery at Fort Riley, Kansas, on 16 February 1996. There it served as the supporting field artillery battalion for 3rd Brigade, 1st Armored Division, the round out brigade for the 1st Armored Division, which had 2 brigades still stationed in Germany.
In 2005, a law was passed outlining various transitions in military basing throughout the United States and abroad. This, coupled with the drawdown of US forces in Germany, saw the 3rd Brigade, 1st Armored Division inactivated at Fort Riley in March 2008, along with the 4th Battalion, 1st Field Artillery. The units of the brigade were reflagged as the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division. As part of the modular transformation, support elements previously held at division level, but habitually assigned to maneuver brigades during operations, such as artillery battalions, were made organic to the brigades. The 4th Battalion, 1st Field Artillery was reorganized and redesignated as the 4th Battalion, 1st Field Artillery Regiment before being reactivated in July 2009 at Fort Bliss, Texas, assigned to the reorganized and redesiganted 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Armored Division.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|