35th Engineer Brigade
The 35th Engineer Brigade provides command and control of combat engineer units assigned to I Corps for worldwide missions. Directs training of Missouri Army National Guards Engineer units to meet US Army readiness standards prior to mobilization. Prepares Missouri Engineer units for State Emergency Duties (SED) for various missions and provides units for task force missions to Joint Task Forces (JTF) conducting missions across the operational continuum.
The 35th Engineer Brigade, was tasked in late 2000, with handling much of the planning pertaining to Operation Alaskan Road. Operation Alaskan Road is Department of Defense (DOD) Innovative Readiness Training (IRT) Exercise, a USCINCPAC sponsored multi-year IRT exercise spread over a seven-year period, with a $33-million budget. The project aims to build a two-lane, 14.8 mile road with no more than a 7-percent grade across the island on Annette Island linking Metlakatla to the north side of the island. The project comes as ful fillment of a government promise that was originally made to Metlakatla, home of Alaska's last Indian reservation.
The unit was originally organized in the Missouri National Guard and Federally recognized 17 July 1928 as Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 138th Infantry at St. Louis, an element of the 35th Division (later 35th Infantry Division).
It was reorganized and redesignated 1 May 1940 as Headquarters Detachment, 1st Battalion, 138th Infantry. The unit was inducted into Federal service 23 December 1940 at St. Louis and was relieved 3 February 1942 from assignment to the 35th Division.
The unit was inactivated 20 July 1944 at Camp Shelby, Mississippi. (The 138th Infantry was assigned 20 June 1946 to the 35th Infantry Division).
The unit was reorganized and Federally recognized 22 October 1946 as Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 138th Infantry.
It was relieved 15 April 1959 from assignment to the 35th Infantry Division; and was concurrently converted and redisignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 101st Replacement Group.
The unit was reorganized and redesignated 1 April 1963 as Combat Section, Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 35th Command Headquarters, Divisional. It was converted and consolidated 16 January 1968 with 1135th Ordnance Company.
The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 7 Oct 1970, consisting of a white enamel square with upper sides outlined by the blades of two gold bayonets crossed near their points, the lower sides formed by a scarlet scroll curved at center and bearing the motto "NO TASK TOO LARGE" in gold letters, the scroll ends passing behind the bayonet handles and curving against the blades; traversing the white area just above the center two blue wavy bars crossed at center by a vertical gold pick its handle between the bayonet points and its head in base and superimposed upon the pick handle a scarlet cord attached to a scarlet plumb bob its point in base touching upon the center of the scroll. White and scarlet are the colors used by the Corps of Engineers. The crossed bayonets suggest the unit's combat capability while the pick and plumb bob are tools relative to the basic engineering mission of the Brigade. The wavy bars refer to the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers upon which the Brigade's two home stations (Jefferson City and St. Louis) are located. The Aleutian Islands, where the unit campaigned during World War II, are indicated by the initial "A" formed by the position of the bayonets and horizontal blue bars. The white area within relates to the mountainous terrain and cold and foggy climate of the Aleutians.
The shoulder sleeve insignia was approved on 19 Jan 1984, consisting of a scarlet disc with eight evenly spaced crenellations on its perimeter, and centered thereon a white annulet containing a white cross and issuant from the annulet four white diagonal rays. Scarlet and white are the colors associated with the Engineers and the crenellations also allude to the functions and mission of that Corps. The center device of cross and annulet is adapted from the shoulder sleeve insignia of the 35th Infantry Division.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|