Find a Security Clearance Job!

Military


302nd Military Intelligence Battalion
"Sly Fox"

In 2009, the 302nd Military Intelligence Battalion was inactivated and reflagged as the 24th Military Intelligence Battalion.

The mission of the 302nd Military Intelligence Battalion (Operations) was to provide all-source intelligence in support of V Corps operations.

The 302nd Military Intelligence Battalion was first organized on 1 April 1944 in England as the 3252nd Signal Service Company. It was constituted on 12 April 1944 in the Army of the United States. The 3252nd Signal Service Company saw service in France and Germany and received 5 campaign streamers: Normandy, Northern France, Ardennes-Alsace, the Rhineland, and Central Europe. After a brief service in the occupation of Germany, the Company returned to Camp Kilmer, New Jersey, where it inactivated on 24 November 1945.

The Company was redesignated the 533rd Signal Service Company on 6 May 1948. It was activated on 20 June 1948 in Salzburg, Austria and served there until 1 April 1949.

The Company was converted and redesignated on 13 October 1950 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 302nd Communication Reconnaissance Battalion, and allotted to the Regular Army. The unit was activated on 20 October 1950 at Camp Pickett, Virginia assigned to the Army Security Agency. The unit departed Camp Pickett on permanent change of station on 1 July 1951 to the Fort Hood, Texas Maneuver Area during February 1952. On 16 July 1952 the unit departed the Fort Hood area for Fort Kilmer, New Jersey staging area enroute to Germany on 3 August 1952.

The 302nd Communication Reconnaissance Battalion was relocated to the Badernof Kaserne, Heilbronn, Germany. The unit then transferred to Warner Kaserne, Bamberg, Germany, effective 15 March 1955. The Battalion was reorganized and redesignated on 25 June 1955 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 302nd Communication Reconnaissance Battalion. Companies A and B were constituted on 19 May 1955. Company A was activated on 25 June 1955 in Germany.

The Battalion was redesignated on 1 July 1956 as the 302nd Army Security Agency Battalion and was relocated to Herzog Base, Herzogenaurach, Germany during September 1956. The Battalion was inactivated on 15 October 1957 in Germany.

Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 302nd Army Security Agency Battalion was reactivated on 21 December 1975 in Germany. Companies A and B were concurrently disbanded. Based at Frankfurt, Germany the Battalion was assigned to the 502nd Army Security Agency in support of V Corps. On 1 January 1977, the Battalion was transferred from Headquarters, Army Security Agency to Headquarters, US Army Europe (USAREUR) and further assigned to V Corps.

Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 302nd Army Security Agency Battalion was reorganized and redesignated on 16 April 1984 as Headquarters, Headquarters and Service Company, 302nd Military Intelligence Battalion. 331st Army Security Agency Company and 327th Army Security Agency Company were concurrently reorganized and redesignated as Companies A and B.

The 331st Army Security Agency Company had been first constituted on 26 April 1942 in the Army of the United States as the 114th Signal Radio Intelligence Company and activated on 13 July 1942 at Camp Crowder, Missouri. The Company was reorganized and redesignated on 10 January 1946 as the 114th Signal Service Company. It was converted and redesignated on 25 October 1951 as the 331st Communication Reconnaissance Company and allotted to the Regular Army. It was reorganized and redesignated on 25 June 1955 as Company A, 307th Communication Reconnaissance Battalion and was redesignated on 1 July 1956 as Company A, 307th Army Security Agency Battalion. It was inactivated on 15 October 1957 in Germany. The unit was redesignated on 21 September 1978 as the 331st Army Security Agency Company and activated in Germany, before being reorganized and redesignated as Company A, 302nd Military Intelligence Battalion on 16 April 1984.

The 327th Army Security Agency Company was first constituted on 4 November 1942 in the Army of the United States as the 111th Signal Radio Intelligence Company and was activated on 30 November 1942 at Camp Crowder, Missouri. It was reorganized and redesignated on 1 September 1945 as the 111th Signal Service Company. It was converted and redesignated on 25 October 1951 as the 327th Communication Reconnaissance Company and allotted to the Regular Army. it was inactivated on 15 August 1956 on Formosa. The Company was redesignated on 21 October 1976 as the 327th Army Security Agency Company and activated in Germany, before being reorganized and redesignated as Company B, 302nd Military Intelligence Battalion on 16 April 1984.

As a result of the reorganization, the Battalion had been transformed into an operations battalion configuration, the unit technially being the 302nd Military Intelligence Battalion (Operations) (Corps). It was subordinated to the 205th Military Intelligence Group (subsequently the 205th Military Intelligence Brigade) of V Corps under the Combat Electronics Warfare Intelligence (CEWI) Concept.

In August 1990, a detachment from C Company's Tactical Radar Correlator air-deployed to Saudi Arabia. It was one of the first USAREUR units committed to Operations Desert Shield. The element subsequently served during Operation Desert Storm.

On 22 December 1994, the 302nd Military Intelligence Battalion was transferred to Wiesbaden Air Base, Wiesbaden, Germany.

With the inactivation of the 205th Military Intelligence Brigade, the 302nd Military Intelligence Battalion was reassigned to the 66th Military Intelligence Group (subsequently redesignated as the 66th Military Intelligence Brigade), USAREUR in January 2008.




NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list