Find a Security Clearance Job!

Military


3rd Battalion - 116th Field Artillery (MLRS)

The 3-116 FA was equipped with the M110 8 Inch self-propelled Howitzer until re-equipped with the Multiple Launch Rocket System in the early 90's. The unit is equipped with the Multiple Launch Rocket System (MLRS). The computer-controlled launchers guide themselves with solid state navigation systems, and fire rockets capable of destroying targets at extreme ranges. The Battalion Headquarters, Charlie Battery, & HHSB are co-located at the Plant City Armory.

The 3rd Battalion, 116th Field Artillery (MLRS), was constituted on 18 September 1917 in the National Guard as the 116 Field Artillery and assigned to the 31st Division. It organized between 1 October - 1 November 1917 at Camp Wheeler, GA, with National Guard personnel from Alabama, Florida, and Georgia. It demobilized on 16 January 1919 at Camp Gordon, GA.

It was reconstituted on 14 December 1921 in the Florida National Guard as the 116th Field Artillery and assigned to the 31st Division. It reorganized between 1922-1924 in Florida; Headquarters waas Federally recognized on 20 January 1924 at Tampa.

The unit was inducted into Federal service on 25 November 1940 at home stations. The Regiment was broken up on 27 February 1942 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as follows: Headquarters disbanded; 1st and 2nd Battalions as the 116th and 149th Field Artillery Battalions, elements of the 31st Infantry Division (Headquarters Battery as Headquarters and Service Company, 175th Engineers - hereafter separate lineage).

After 27 February 1942, the above units underwent changes as follows: the 116th Field Artillery Battalion inactivated on 20 December 1945 at Camp Stoneman, CA. It was relieved on 13 June 1946 from assignment to the 31st Infantry Division and assigned on 5 July 1946 to the 51st Infantry Division.

It consolidated on 7 November 1946 with Headquarters, 116th Field Artillery (reconstituted on 25 August 1945) and the consolidated unit was reorganized and Federally recognized as the 116th Field Artillery Battalion with Headquarters at Tampa. The 149th Field Artillery Battalion inactivated on 21 December 1945 at Camp Stoneman, CA. It was relieved on 13 June 1946 from assignment to the 31st Infantry Division and assigned on 5 July 1946 to the 48th Infantry Division. It reorganized and was Federally recognized on 8 November 1946 with Headquarters at Lakeland. It reorganized and was redesignated on 1 November 1955 as the 149th Armored Field Artillery Battalion, an element of the 48th Armored Division.

The 116th Field Artillery Battalion and the 149th Armored Field Artillery Battalion consolidated on 15 April 1959 and the consolidated unit reorganized and was redesignated as the 116th Artillery, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st and 3rd Howitzer Battalions, elements of the 51st Infantry Division, and the 2nd Howitzer Battalion, an element of the 48th Armored Division.

The unit reorganized on 15 February 1963 to consist of the 1st and 3rd Howitzer Battalions and the 2nd Howitzer Battalion, an element of the 53rd Separate Infantry Brigade; on 1 March 1964 to consist of the 1st and 3rd Howitzer Battalions and the 2nd Howitzer Battalion, an element of the 53rd Armored Brigade; and on 20 January 1968 to consist of the 1st Battalion and the 2nd Battalion, an element of the 53rd Infantry Brigade.

The unit was redesignated on 1 May 1972 as the 166th Field Artillery. It reorganized on 1 October 1984 to consist of the 1st and 3rd Battalions and the 2nd Battalion, an element of the 53rd Infantry Brigade. The unit was withdrawn on 1 June 1989 from the Combat Arms Regimental System and reorganized under the United States Army Regimental System.

It reorganized on 1 September 1993 to consist of the 2nd Battalion, an element of the 53rd Infantry Brigade, and the 3rd Battalion.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list