211th Military Police Battalion
"Force of Choice"
The 211th MP Battalion consists of a Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment as well serves as a command and control headquarters for four Military Police Companies. These units are the, 42nd Military Police Company, 747th Military Police Company, the 772nd Military Police Company, and the 972nd Military Police Company.
The federal mission of the 211th MIlitary Police Battalion is to provide command and control, combat support and combat service support to all Military Police elements assigned or attached. Assist Commander 51st Troop Command during mobilization of subordinate Military Police Companies.
Its state mission is to provide units that are organized, equipped and trained to provide assistance in the protection of life and property and the preservation of peace, order and public safety. On order coordinate operations and provide personnel and equipment necessary to assist the Commonwealth of Massachusetts during disaster relief operations.
The 211th Military Police Battalion has the distinct honor and privilege of carrying the lineage and honors of the "First Corps of Cadets" the Commonwealth's and the National Guard's oldest volunteer militia unit.
The First Corps of cadets, now designated as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 211th Military Police Battalion, has been one of the premier organizations of the Massachusetts National Guard serving in five wars. It's primary contribution to the Commonwealth and nation was as an officer producing institution for new regiments from the Revolutionary War through World War II.
After serving as infantry, engineers, antiaircraft artillery, cavalry, armor, infantry (again), and signal, the Corps became a battalion of military police. In early 1996 it was decided that the 685th Military Police Battalion would pick up the lineage and honors of the First Corps from the 126th Signal Battalion (which was being deactivated). This new organization would be called Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment 211th Military Police Battalion (First Corp of Cadets) restoring the Corps traditional Federal number (211th).
On July 26, 1996 a formal change of designation and command ceremony was held on Newton Town Green.
The 211th MP Battalion consisted of a Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment as well as six (6) numbered line companies. Three (3) of the companies are Massachusetts Army National Guard Organizations; 747th Military Police Company, the 772nd Military Police Company, and the 972nd Military Police Company. Two of the other three (3) are Army Reserve Companies; 94th Military Police Company (New Hampshire)and the 514th Military Police Company (North Carolina). The third is a National Guard Company from Washington DC, the 273rd Military Police Company.
The coat of arms was originally approved for the 211th Artillery, C.A.C, on 19 Oct 1922. It was amended on 24 Aug 1923 to correct the wording of the blazonry of the shield and crest. On 20 April 1950 the coat of arms was redesignated for the 126th Heavy Tank Battalion. It was redesignated for the 220th Infantry on 1 Jun 1961. On 13 Sep 1984 the insignia was redesignated for the 126th Signal Battalion. The coat of arms was redesignated for the 211th Military Police Battalion on 16 Jul 1996.
The shield is blue for the Infantry origin of the "Corps." The pine tree indicates the Revolutionary War Service, and the cross botonny was the badge of the 18th Corps in the Civil War. The red bend piped with white is for the Engineer service in 1917-18. In the canton is the old badge of the Cadets, and the motto "MONSTRAT VIAM" (IT POINTS THE WAY) has long accompanied the six-pointed star. Shield: Azure, a bend Gules fimbriated Argent between in chief a pine tree Proper and in base a cross botonny with all lines curved (from the badge of the 18th Corps in the Civil War) of the second fimbriated Or. On a canton Gules fimbriated Or a mullet of six points, one up, of the like charged with an annulet Azure, environing a torteau on which is a cross Or (from the badge of the Independent Corps of Cadets of 1741).
The crest is that of the Massachusetts Army National Guard. Crest: That for the regiments and separate battalions of the Massachusetts Army National Guard: From a wreath Argent and Azure, a dexter arm embowed, clothed Blue and ruffed White Proper the hand grasping a broad sword Argent the pommel and hilt Or.
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 126th Heavy Tank Battalion on 20 Apr 1950. It was redesignated for the 220th Infantry on 1 Jun 1961. On 13 Sep 1984 the insignia was redesignated for the 126th Signal Battalion. The distinctive unit insignia was redesignated for the 211th Military Police Battalion on 16 July 1996, consisting of the old badge of the First Corps of Cadets blazoned: A six-pointed mullet of rays, one point up charged with a bezant bearing a cross Gules encircled with a garter Azure inscribed "MONSTRAT VIAM 1741" (It Points The Way) of the first. The insignia is the old badge of the First Corps of Cadets from which the organization is descended.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|