2-58th Infantry Battalion
On May 15, 1917, the 58th Infantry Regiment was activated at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania and assigned to the 4th Infantry Division. The Regiment was assembled and trained in the United States and shipped over to England in May of 1918. A and B companies of the regiment suffered the regiment's first casualties on the morning of 23 May 1918 when their troop ship, the Moldavia, was sunk by a German submarine at a point midway between Land's End and the Isle of Wright. 56 men were lost, most of them killed instantly when the torpedo exploded directly against their sleeping compartment. A torpedo now adorns the crest of the regiment to commemorate this event. The rest of the regiment landed in France at Calais, where the regiment was reassembled on 9 June 1918. During their initial combat operations, the battalions of the 58th were assigned to French regiments of their 164th Infantry Division for the Aisne - Marne Counter - offensive of July 1918.
The regiment also fought in the St. Mihiel in September of 1918 and the Meuse - Argonne Offensive during October of 1918. In November 1918, the regiment took up occupation duty around the towns of Moselkern and Coblenz. They sailed back to the United States in the late summer of 1919 and were inactivated and demobilized in June and July of 1922.
The 58th Infantry Regiment was reconstituted and reactivated in April of 1942, and participated in the retaking of the Aleutian Islands of Attu and Kiska from the Japanese during the period May through August of 1943. These were the only battles with the Japanese on U.S. North American soil. The 58th also fought in Europe as a part of the 8th Armored Division in the Ardennes-Alsace, Rhineland and Central Europe campaigns. The 58th Infantry thus had units fight both the Japanese and Germans.
The 58th Armored Infantry Battalion was inactivated after World War II was over, but reactivated and consolidated with headquarters of the 58th Infantry Regiment and served a brief year from 1956 to 1957 in Germany as a unit of the 2nd Armored Division.
Since 1962, the 1st Battalion, 58th Infantry served with the 197th Infantry Brigade at Fort Benning. However, D, E, and F companies served briefly in Vietnam, from 1967 to 1969, with the 4th Infantry Division. These companies performed long range reconnaissance missions and were later redesignated as ranger companies of the 75th Infantry. The First Battalion, 58th Infantry Regiment was reactivated on May 16, 1987. It took over the personnel and mission of the 4th Battalion, 2nd Infantry Training Brigade. Since then, the battalion has continued its reputation for excellence in the training of new Infantry soldiers. The 2nd Battalion, 58th Infantry awaits the call to serve again in combat. Until then, it will continue to provide trained and ready soldiers for the Army.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|