17th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion
17th Corps Support Battalion
The 17th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion (CSSB) was a unique organization consisting of a battalion headquarters, 2 transportation companies, a direct support maintenance company, a chemical company, a finance detachment, an explosive ordinance disposal detachment, a public affairs detachment, the Ninth US Army Band, and a Parachute Rigger company.
The 17th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion was originally constituted on 25 July 1941 in the Regular Army as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 7th Ordnance Battalion and was later activated on 1 August 1941 at Birmingham, Alabama. In March 1946 the Battalion was inactivated in India.
The unit was reactivated on 20 September 1950 at Fort Benning, Georgia and inactivated on 1 December 1954 in Germany. It was again reactivated on 15 September 1960 at Fort Benning, Georgia and inactivated 25 March 1964 at Homestead Air Force Base, Florida.
It was redesignated on 1 May 1965 as Headquarters, 7th Maintenance Battalion and activated on 15 July 1965 in Thailand. It was later reorganized and redesignated on 1 September 1966 as Headquarters and Main Support Company, 7th Maintenance Battalion. As part of the drawdown in Southeast Asia, the unit was inactivated on 25 June 1971 in Thailand.
The unit was redesignated on 16 October 1986 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 7th Maintenance Battalion, and activated at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii. Later, it was reorganized and redesignated on 16 October 1989 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 7th Maintenance Battalion. It was again reorganized and redesignated on 16 October 1993 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 17th Support Battalion.
The Battalion was initially split-stationed over 350 miles between Fort Richardson and Fort Wainwright in Alaska. In 2003, the Battalion was consolidated when C Company, 864th Engineer Battalion and the 98th Maintenance Detachment were relocated to Fort Richardson, Alaska. This marked the beginning of transformation for the 17th Corps Support Battalion. In 2004, 4th Quartermaster Detachment became part of 17th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion giving the unit the capability of a Theatre Airdrop Support Unit. As part of the reorganization of US forces in the Pacific and the transforamtion of the Army as a whole to the modular force structure, the 17th Corps Support Battalion was subsequently reorganized and redesignated as the 17th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion.
On 16 September 2011, Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 3rd Maneuver Enhancement Brigade was inactivated and was reflagged as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 2nd Engineer Brigade. 2nd Engineer Brigade was subsequently activated at Joint Base Elemendorf-Richardson. The 17th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion became assigned to the newly activated unit.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|