177th Military Police Brigade
The 177th Military Police Brigade was originally organized and Federally recognized on 14 June 1921 in the Michigan National Guard at Detroit as Headquarters Detachment, 1st Separate Squadron, Cavalry. It was redesignated on 1 July 1921 as Headquarters Detachment, 1st Squadron, 106th Cavalry, an element of the 22nd Cavalry Division. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 10 April 1929 as Troop I, 106th Cavalry. It converted and was redesignated on 20 September 1940 as Battery E, 210th Coast Artillery, and relieved from assignment to the 22nd Cavalry Division.
It was inducted into Federal service on 24 February 1941 at Detroit before being reorganized and redesignated on 14 February 1944 as Battery A, 593d Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion. It inactivated on 1 November 1944 at Camp Howze, TX.
The unit reorganized and was Federally recognized on 20 January 1947 at Detroit as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 46th Division Artillery. It reorganized and was redesignated on 1 April 1960 as Headquarter and Headquarters Battery, 46th Infantry Division Artillery. It was ordered into active Federal service on 24 July 1967 at Detroit; and released from active Federal service on 2 August 1967 at which point it reverted to state control. It was reorganized and redesignated on 1 February 1968 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 157th Artillery Group, and relieved from assignment to the 46th Infantry Division. It was redesignated on 1 February 1972 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 157th Field Artillery Group.
The unit converted and was redesignated on 1 April 1976 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 177th Military Police Group. It was reorganized and redesignated on 7 November 1985 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 177th Military Police Brigade. The unit relocated on 1 September 1991 to Taylor.
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 177th Military Police Group 5 Jan 1977. It was redesignated and the description updated on 19 Nov 1986 for the 177th Military Police Brigade, consisting of a green background bearing at each side a gold snow-capped mountain peak and at base a blue background bearing two white wavy bars, overall a vertical double-warded gold key bearing a black gear wheel charged with a white five-pointed star, all enclosed by a continuous four-folded gold scroll inscribed at side, top and side "PROTECT DEFEND PRESERVE" all in green letters. The snow-capped mountain peaks symbolize the organization's war service in the Aleutian Islands during World War II. The upright key alludes to the unit's mission of protection and apprehension. The five-pointed star, a symbol of achievement and authority, was suggested by the state flag of Alaska and the city flag of Detroit. The gear wheel also represents Detroit, the "Motor City" and present location of the unit. The wavy blue and white bars represent Lake Superior, Lake Huron, Lake Michigan and other waters around the upper and lower peninsulas that make up the State of Michigan. Green and yellow (gold) are the colors used for Military Police units.
The shoulder sleeve insignia was approved on 29 Jun 1988, consisting of a twelve spoke green gear wheel bearing two yellow keys in bend addorsed, the sinister inverted, and interlaced with two yellow keys in bend sinister addorsed the sinister inverted. Green and yellow are the colors associated with Military Police. The gear wheel suggests the heraldic term "embattled" representing a fortress and reflects the unit's involvement in defense. The keys allude to the organization's mission of protection and law enforcement. The gear wheel also represents Detroit, the "Motor City," present location of the unit.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|