116th Engineer Battalion
116th Engineer Battalion units are located throughout Northen Idaho with units in Bonners Ferry, Sandpoint, Post Falls, Moscow, Lewiston, Orofino and Grangeville. The missions of the National Guard differ from the Army in that the National Guard typically supports three missions instead of one primary mission. The missions of the 116th Engineers are as follows. The Wartime Mission is tTo increase the combat effectiveness of the heavy-separate Brigade by accomplishing mobility, counter-mobility, and limited survivability engineering tasks. The State Mission is to provide units/personnel trained and equipped for immediate deployment in support of natural disasters and civil disturbances within the State of Idaho as an aid to civil authorities. The Community Support Mission is to provide units/personnel in support of community events/activities.
The 116th Engineer Battalion was constituted 19 June 1877 in the Idaho Volunteer Militia as the 1st Regiment. Organized June-August 1877 from new and existing companies. Elements in the northern Territory of Idaho withdrawn 17 September 1877 and consolidated with new and existing companies to form the 2d Regiment. 1st and 2d Regiments disbanded 1 March 1879. Reconstituted in the Idaho Militia as the 1st Infantry Regiment and reorganized 1889-1891 from new and existing companies. Organized Militia of Idaho redesignated 14 March 1891 as the Idaho National Guard.
Mustered into Federal service 7-18 May 1898 at Boise as the 1st Idaho Volunteer Infantry; mustered out of Federal service 25 September 1899 at the Presidio of San Francisco, California. Reorganized 1899-1903 in the Idaho National Guard as the 2d Infantry Regiment. Mustered into Federal service 3-6 July 1916 at Boise Barracks; mustered out of Federal service 26 January 1917. Mustered into Federal service 21 September 1917. Regiment broken up 1 October 1917-12 November 1917 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as elements of the 41st Division.
3d Battalion, 186th Infantry, redesignated 6 August 1924 as the 1st Battalion, 200th Infantry. Converted and redesignated 1 August 1926 as the 116th Engineer Regiment (less 1st Battalion allotted to the Oregon National Guard). 1st Battalion allotted 17 October 1928 to the Idaho National Guard; organized and Federally recognized 16 April 1936 with Headquarters at Boise.
116th Engineer Regiment assigned 3 January 1930 to the 41st Division. Inducted into Federal service 16 September 1940 at home stations. Regiment broken up 17 February 1942 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as follows: Regiment (less 2d Battalion) as the 116th Engineer Battalion, an element of the 41st Infantry Division. (2d Battalion as the 1st Battalion, 133d Engineer Regiment, and relieved from assignment to the 41st Division - hereafter separate lineage).
116th Engineer Battalion redesignated 18 March 1943 as the 116th Engineer Combat Battalion. Inactivated 31 December 1945 in Japan. Relieved 17 June 1946 from assignment to the 41st Infantry Division. Converted, reorganized, and Federally recognized 13 March 1947 as the 3d Battalion, 183d Infantry, with Headquarters at Idaho Falls.
Converted and redesignated 12 September 1949 as the 116th Engineer Combat Battalion. Ordered into active Federal service 25 August 1950 at home stations. 116th Engineer Battalion [NGUS] organized and Federally recognized 5 January 1953 with Headquarters at Idaho Falls. Released 20 January 1955 from active Federal service and reverted to state control; Federal recognition concurrently withdrawn from the 116th Engineer Battalion (NGUS). Ordered into active Federal service 13 May 1968 at home stations; released 6 September 1969 from active Federal service and reverted to state control. Location of Headquarters changed 1 February 1977 to Lewiston.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|